Topic

Platypus Filter Newbie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Platypus Filter Newbie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mitch H
    Spectator

@berkemo

New to the outdoors and had a first try with the Platypus Gravityworks. Pulled fairly cloudy river water and followed directions.  The filtered water was quite discolored. Should I expect clear water from this device? Thanks!

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Filters don’t take out chemicals, just biologicals. It’s drinkable if not contaminated by chemicals – palatable may be another matter entirely. Choosing sources that are not downstream of potential contaminants such as a mine, or agriculture, or other human activity, is a good idea.

For very silty water you may want to settle out particulates in a container for a while before filtering so it doesn’t clog the filter. A lot of the pump filters have a prefilter to do a lot of that work, but that too can clog if it’s a lot of silt.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

In a word, No.

If you wish to turn cloudy, discolored water into clear water with no odor and minimal taste then you do not want a filter.  You need a purifier like the First Need XL.

FWIW, I used to own a First Need many years ago and pumped a cup of coffee through it.  What came out was clear, clean water like it came from my kitchen faucet. You will pay for this miracle with high purchase price and heavy weight.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

I thought that I read where you could settle most of this sediment out by adding Alum and then pouring off the clear water on the top. I have to admit that I’ve never tried it though.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Alum works pretty good but I just typically let my evening and morning water settle out on its own and pour off the clearer water.  During the day I usually don’t wait or  I just keep replenishing my water bottles with snow and go.  After a few days of snow my bottle looks about as bad as the run off this time of year.

A First Need with a prefilter is an amazing piece of kit but heavy and must be kept from freezing.  It’s spendy and heavy but my wife won’t drink water from anything else for the few times a year I use it.  25 years old (the filter) and still works great.  That should tell you how often it gets used.

Mitch H
    Spectator

@berkemo

Good info everyone. Thanks! I was a bit surprised with the results on the platypus, but not having any experience, it’s just hard to tell what to expect.  I suspect it was filtered and drinkable but the advertising and reviews always show clear water!  No surprise there I guess.  Don’t think I can make the First Need happen right now but I’ll definitely look into it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools