Topic

Planning a Beginners Trip in the Sierras

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Planning a Beginners Trip in the Sierras

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Meg H
    Spectator

@megawatts

I would like to take my stepdaughter and mother in law on their first backpacking trip this coming July (5th-10th). My stepdaughter is 8 and although she LOVES camping, she has never hiked more than a couple miles, let alone with a pack on. My mother in law just did rim to rim of the grand canyon in a day, so I’m certain she can handle anything I could throw at her with ease.

We live in Santa Barbara, so I would like to find trip in the Sierras if possible, but I’m having a tough time finding something around 5-10 miles that isn’t too intense. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Golden Trout Wilderness. Do an in and out near the Forks of the Kern. Trailhead at Lloyd’s Meadow.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

There are SO many options for this, and they depend on SO many factors. We have a whole section on our website just for starter hikes that aren’t too far, aren’t too hard, and take you to wonderful places. Backpackthesierra.com. 5 miles a day is a good choice…and we like to end up at a lake or river, too. You’ll see the choices on the site.

Meg H
    Spectator

@megawatts

Awesome! Thank you, I will check out both suggestions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools