Topic

Pixel phone in the backcountry?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pixel phone in the backcountry?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I’m way overdue for a new smartphone. Thinking about getting out of the Apple “ecosystem.” Looking at the Pixel 2 XL.

Any pros or cons? (It’s not actually a fair fight as the alternate would be a hand-me-down iPhone 6s. So the main con is free vs. not free)

I’m not photography buff, so I think anything will be adequate

6oz v 5oz, but would one warrant a burlier case?

How does the Pixel behave in airplane mode? Are there any issues with storage when you’re signal-less for awhile.

Real world battery life?

Compatibility with the InReach Mini that I plan to get too?

Use as a GPS w/Gaia?

Anything else I haven’t thought of?

(and I bet there are past threads on this but searching “pixel” pulls up a whole lotta photo resizing threads)

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I’ve used a Pixel 2 XL since last November (Project Fi – T-mobile/Sprint) and have had no issues with battery life while hiking/backpacking. It pairs well with my Inreach Explorer and I’ve also used Gaia on it but not much. Of course you’ll need to carry a battery pack to recharge depending on your daily use. But I always carry a battery pack when backpacking to charge both my Inreach and phone. No experience with Inreach Mini.

As you probably know the biggest energy hog in phones is the screen. The next biggest energy hog is the constant search for cellular signal when out of cell range. As long as you keep the phone in airplane mode and don’t use the screen too much you should be fine for most of the day. I charge once a day at most with normal use while not backpacking. While backpacking YMMV depending on your use patterns.

I do have a case for protection but you don’t have to use one.

It’s (much) better than an older model iPhone I used for hiking/backpacking.

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

I’m still on a original Pixel. Takes great photos, excellent battery life in airplane mode. I have used Gaia without issues. I also have limited experience with Garmin Earthmate for my InReach SE. Works fine. I won’t have a chance to test it all together on a multiday trip until the end of June so I can’t give you battery percentage data per day. Planning on using it all out west this summer for a week long trip.

Jake J
    BPL Member

@psykokid

Locale: Socal

I’m still using the original pixel XL as well and It has been great. I took it on my trip last fall when we went from Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney Portal via Miter Basin/Crabtree Pass/Mountaineers Route as my only camera. I used it with my inreach explorer/earthmate app and it did very well. Battery life was very good on airplane mode. I brought an 10K MAH Anker battery back and used that to top off all my electronics at night (steripen, headlamp, inreach, phone). As far as phone protection I’ve used a spigen neo-hybrid case and glass screen protector since day one and my phone still looks new out of the case and has survived a quite a few butter finger moments with no ill effects. Photo quality on the original Pixel is great and from all reports the Pixel 2 is even better. Here’s a link to all the pics I took on the trip I referenced above: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm852XS5

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Jake J – nice pics.  How many days did you make it with the 10K Anker recharding all this?

Jake J
    BPL Member

@psykokid

Locale: Socal

Bob – Thanks, I was kind of nervous taking just the phone being a photographer. Fortunately the pixel with a 3rd party app has the ability to shoot raw images which makes it easier to edit later on. I dont think I actually used the anker pack to charge the steripen and the headlamp, just used it to top off the phone and inreach at night. We were only out 3 days and the battery pack was still 3/4 charged when we got to the portal.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

What 3rd party app do you use that allows taking pictures in RAW?  I’ve been only taking a phone for pictures lately and that would be handy.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’m using the iPhone 8 Plus.   I shoot raw with Lightroom Mobile, which I believe is available on Android.

I’m hooked on the iOS ecosystem but if I were to jump ship, I’d get the Pixel for its camera.

I’m really happy with the 8 plus and have purchased the Moment case and Moment wide and tele lens for it.   Including the lenses on the phone, this gives me the choice of shooting at 18mm, 26mm, 36mm, 52mm, 60mm, and 120mm.   You can mount these lenses on the Pixel but I’m not sure how that phone crops these lenses.

Moment has a filter adapter that I haven’t purchased yet, but will.   I shoot a lot of video and will buy their Anamorphic lens when it is released.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools