Topic

Pistol grip for smartphone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Pistol grip for smartphone

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

I am looking for opinions/advice on using my smartphone as my camera on the trail. I’d like to shoot some video but feel holding the phone while hiking is risky—i.e., I don’t want to drop it.

Does anyone use a pistol grip to add security and ease of use?

Any ideas/suggestions?

I’ve found a few that look promising:

Shoulderpod S2, which is a bit heavy (147 grams / 5.1 ounces, according to an email from the manufacturer)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1313352-REG/shoulderpod_sd_s2bk01eu0001_s2_smartphone_handle_grip.html

GRIPT Rig—looks well designed, secure and light (2.24 ounces, according to item description. Does not include a handle. I think a handle needs to be added because the velcro is small.

https://www.amazon.com/GRIPT-Secure-Smartphone-Rig-Universal/dp/B0185CS0AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496435652&sr=8-1&keywords=GRIPT

Bike mount—I am not sure if it would be suitable.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Michael,

I’ve used the RetiCAM Smartphone TriPod mount along with a Gorilla pod and it worked pretty slick for both when I was handholding it plus when I needed it for stability during time lapse shots.  The RetiCAM mount is rock solid secure and doesn’t hurt the phone.

I’ve yet to pull the trigger but I like how Olloclip Pivot has a cold shoe mount on top for mounting an LED or shotgun mic.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It’s not a pistol grip but maybe you would like the grip that a Popsocket provides?

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Matthew and Ian, belated thanks for your recommendations, both of which are good. I think the RetiCam is best for on trail and the popsocket is good for everyday use. Time to pull the trigger on a pistol grip ;-)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools