Topic

Pinnacle v. HMG 3400SW?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pinnacle v. HMG 3400SW?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David C. Menges
    Spectator

@davidmenges

I’m thinking of an HMG 3400SW, but I got my large Pinnacle out and the specs aren’t terribly different – similar volume, 30# v. 40# max weight, both good cloth, Pinnacle lighter.  Is the Pinnacle last decade’s tech and the HMG much better, or is the diff mostly “fad”?

My hiking is mostly solo, west US, 4-14 days, some winter.  Just getting back – a job has preoccupied me for too long.

If you had to carry a bear can, 3400SW or 4400SW?

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Given a trip duration of up to 14 days, I would opt for a larger pack just so you have space for the food. The weight difference in pack bag size is usually only 3-4 ounces. I would also consider the Superior Wilderness Designs Long Haul series if the HMG pack is on your radar. It’s less expensive and more customizable. If you already have the Pinnacle, use what you have unless you hate it or it won’t meet your needs, and spend the money on gas money or plane tickets for more experiences!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’m not the biggest fan of HMG packs (I don’t care for the shoulder straps or hip belt) but you are comparing apples and oranges.  The Pinnacle is a very large frameless pack, while the HMG is a framed pack.

Frameless Packs have largely been replaced with light framed packs, that do weigh a bit more, but are more comfortable (especially if you use an inflatable pad).

The fabric HMG uses (Hybrid DCF) is an Ok pack fabric but isn’t perfect and at least in my opinion something of a fad.   It’s very expensive and though it is water proof (at least as much as you can waterproof a pack) the 50d polyester face fabric on the 3400 (150d on the 4400) isn’t super durable.  It’s durable enough for on trail hiking (people do thru hikes with them) but isn’t as durable off trail as the 210d Dyneema Grid like your Pinnacle uses.  I think DP X Pack is a better pack fabric and also waterproof, but I also still like Dyneema Grid

For a 14 day trip(assuming no resupply) I think I would want something that can carry more weight than a Pinnacle.  My last 14 day trip I was at 32 pounds with food and water (and a Bearikade Expedition).   I would definitely go with a framed pack and with a 4400 over a 3400.

I like the SWD Long Haul 50 better (a bit small for a 14 day trip though- they might make you a larger “Long Haul 60” if you asked (I wish my Long Haul 50 was a little bigger).

For a 14 day trip with no resupply you might look at the Seek Outside Divide.  It carries better than anything I have ever used at 30 pounds plus.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools