Topic

Pillows

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pillows

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Geoff

My HOME pillow? Standard off the shelf unit. Or did you mean MYOG pillow?

Sue’s pillow (as in photo) is 110 g complete. For a comfortable 12 hours sleep.

My foam pillow is the same weight but these days I have replaced it with an Exped pillow/pump. Sue uses it to blow up both our Synmat UL7 mats without getting any moisture inside them from her breath. On a long trip keeping the insides of the mats dry is crucial. And blowing up two mats used to make her dizzy! Then I use it as a pillow for the night. Weight is 160 g: I think of that as 110 g for the pillow and 50 g for the pump.

Packed volume for foam – put your two hands together touching at fingertips – about that much IF I squeeze hard. Pillow/pump is smaller. But we rarely worry about volume: we worry mainly about weight.

Cheers

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Thanks Roger

I agree – it’s worth some modest extra weight/volume for a decent night’s sleep. Especially for the “more mature” hiker like myself!

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Roger,
    What are the approximate dimensions of your foam block pillow?

Thanks in advance,
    Casey

Jason H
    Spectator

@topduck

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I started with a Thermarest compressible pillow but it just took up to much room and because it is memory foam I found that it would slowly compress over night (my wife still loves hers). I recently bought two different stiles of air pillows for the family that everyone loves.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>The first is the Outdoor Vitals Pillow It weighs 3.6 ounces and I have used it probably 15 or more nights with no problems.</p>
    The second I like even better because of the price but only have a few night to reviewit  is the Trekology Pillow. Seems like a bargain at 15 dollars.

Both have been great with no leaks.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

That was a while back … (2004) But Sue still uses hers.

Dimensions were, to some extent, set by the foam I had on hand and what Sue wanted. If you started with 300 mm x 200 mm x 100 mm (high), you would be close. I was not exact!

Squash the foam down before making the holes with a sharp boring tube: it works much better that way. Otherwise the foam can grab on the side of the tube and spin. I think I used some light (thin-wall) SS towel rail for the tube.

Cheers

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Thanks Roger!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger, do you and you’re wife sleep mostly on your stomach? Are you and wife small in stature?

I’m a side sleeper and need a pillow in the 7-10 oz size. I’m a big guy with broad shoulders.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

No, we both sleep on our sides. If I sleep on my back I snore, so I don’t. In the snow we are definitely spooned together – which works.
    I’m about 5′ 7″. Sue is an inch or two shorter.
    Broad shoulders – thick foam, fewer holes. It works.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools