Topic

Picaridin spray vs. lotion effectiveness – which is more UL?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Picaridin spray vs. lotion effectiveness – which is more UL?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

From what I can tell, Picaridin is the next best thing to DEET when it comes to repelling insects. Since I will be doing my first long section hike on the AT in a few weeks coming from backpacking the Rockies for the last 10 years, I figured that I should take insect repellent a bit more seriously.  I see that amazon sells Picaridin packets (0.34 oz each) as well as a 0.5 oz pump spray option.  I’m curious which you guys think is more effective and more UL for a 4 day typical resupply on the AT.  I’ve been using mini-balm jars from litesmith for carrying lotions in the past, but I’m wondering if a mini-pump spray option might be more convenient.  Which do you think is more effective?  And which is more lightweight in the long run?  I would imagine that the lotion is longer lasting….

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

I mostly hike in New Hampshire and would suggest permethrin-treated clothing, at least pants. I also tuck my pants into my socks because it’s effective even if it’s dorky.

I like picaridin for exposed skin. No worries about melting gear. Adventure Alan wrote about the lotion and the spray on his blog a while ago, and the lotion apparently is rated to last 14 hours (quite a bit more than the spray). I started using the spray last summer and if there’s even a slight breeze and you’re holding the bottle an inch or two away from you, a lot of the fine mist flies away, which feels like a waste. You can buy the lotion in a bigger bottle than those packets and just carry some of it in the balm jars you have.

Happy hiking,

Greg

Jason F
    Spectator

@jsf80238gmail-com

I’d buy both the wipes and the spray bottle.  Bring one wipe and enough in the spray bottle to cover your needs.  After the first use of the wipe, spray it with the bottle.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools