Topic

Philmont backpack rental

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Philmont backpack rental

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark C
    Spectator

@mark-coleman

After a few of our prep hikes, I discovered my medium sized Osprey Aether 70 wasn’t fitting right. I live in Louisiana, and we don’t have any local outfitters to get a proper measurement, so I took the opportunity when I visited Dallas last weekend to take it to an REI store to get some help. They measured me and told me I’m actually between a XS-S size. Long story short, it’s too late for me to swap it, so now I’m considering selling it, and just renting one of the Philmont backpacks. I called Philmont to see which types they had available, and inquire about the age of the packs. To my surprise, I was informed they order new ones every year. Has anyone rented a backpack from Philmont before, and can you share your experience?

Thanks, Mark

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

I have not personally rented a Philmont pack, but it’s my understanding that they stock multiple different types and sizes to fit a variety of needs, and the price is very reasonable.

William Harmon
    BPL Member

@witlain

Locale: Midwest

I have not rented a pack but I have hiked with several groups, including my own trek, that had individuals that rented packs. It costs about $18 for the entire trek so it’s pretty cheap. They also fit you at Outfitting Services, which you have already done. They usually have some older external frame Kelty packs and had new Osprey packs last year along with another model or two of older packs. I believe the packs now get rinsed out after every use so they don’t get too dirty. They also work to fix anything broken on the packs between uses but if you find something before you leave Base Camp you can always exchange it for another one.

Mark C
    Spectator

@mark-coleman

Thanks for the feedback. Yea, the $18 rental fee is a good deal, and part of the reason I’m considering renting. I guess my only concern is that I miss out on getting one my size, but the guy I talked with on the phone said they normally have a large variety.

Michael C
    Spectator

@sbillinimike

I rented a pack last year as I decided too late that I needed more volume for all that freeze dried food. Mine was an Osprey which was pretty much like the one I had only bigger.  Everything went fine with it and I would do it again.

Mark C
    Spectator

@mark-coleman

Thanks, Michael. That’s reassuring :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools