Topic

PFC Free 4 season Gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PFC Free 4 season Gear?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

I could really use some help finding some PFC free winter gear

I could use some help finding some PFC Free (FREE not short chain) Hardshell pants, preferably full zip, but 3/4 zip is ok too, I prefer vents if possible, the color doesn’t really matter I guess… as light weight as possible but still fairly durable, is of course always preferred.

I’m here asking for help since it’s much easier to find PFC free jackets than to find pants it would seem…I’ve seen searching pretty heavily for the last 3 or so days now with little to show for it… I just can’t seem to find many or any PFC free true hardshell pants, really.

For that matter any leads on decent light weight PFC free Gloves and Sleeping Bags, and boots would be really appreciated as well…

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

All I can find so far is the Fjallraven Keb Eco Shell Pant

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Torso Layers

1. Columbia OutDry Ex Eco (Insulated) Shell – USD 230, 1 lb 8 oz

The idea is to combine Columbia’s OutDry Ex Eco Shell with around 60g of Omni heat insulation. Effectively combining a light insualtion mid layer with your hard shell, which in theory can help save room and weight. It’s fairly heavy at 1 lb 8 oz, but when you think of it as a 2-in-1 jacket (hard shell + midlayer) it’s generally lighter than the 2 separate garments would be.

Pros: Price, PFC-Free, never needs DWR treatment, fabric dye-free, eco friendly production, doesn’t skimp on features (vents, etc.), saves room/weight (in theory)

Cons: You can effectively never don a Base Layer + Hard Shell combo as you are always going to have some insulation under your shell but using lighter than typical Base Layers can help mitigate this. Columbia also offers the same shell without insulation ($199, 17 oz)

2. Vaude Freney III – EUR 175, 305 g

The idea here was to find a midlayer slightly less insulated than I’d typically cary. I don’t think this is quite as warm as the Patagonia NanoPuff Pullover Bivy I am attempting to replace with this, but my previous Arc’Teryx Alpha AR wasn’t insulated like my new shell (the OutDry Ex Eco), so I wanted something that isn’t going to be too hot when wearing it with the Insulated OutDry.

Pros: PFC-Free, eco friendly production, good set of features, very light

Cons: Price, not extremely warm by itself

3. Patagonia R1 Fleece Hoody USD 159, 12.85 oz

Everyone knows this one :P

4. Montbell Tachyon Jacket USD 99, 1.6 oz

Very light at under 2 oz but adds a bit more versatility the integration of hardshell + insulation lost me.

Pros: Light, available in undyed

Cons: Price, durability

5. Insert Light weight Merino Wool Base Layer here

Experimenting with several

Possible Layer Combinations:

OutDry + Freney and/or R1 Fleece and/or Light Base Layer
    Tachyon + Freney and/or R1 Fleece and/or Light Base Layer
    Freney and/or R1 Fleece and/or Light Base Layer
    Tachyon or OutDry + Light Base Layer

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Wool, cotton and leather shells.

http://wintertrekking.com/clothing/

Works best if it is very cold and dry.

Obvious trade offs for some of the gear. Some of it works rather well.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

• Look at Paramo
    • Gore is supposed to be releasing non-PFC gear late in 2018, but they say they can’t match the performance of typical DWR
    • Nikwax products are PFC free
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools