Topic

Pertex Quantum question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pertex Quantum question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Hi all. I have a question about Pertex Quantum. I picked up a couple yards it it here a couple of years ago, thinking I would have someone make my dream wind shirt with it. It turned out this high-end local sewing genius wanted $200 to do it (and that was with a 20% “new best friend” discount). So the Quantum has sat in a dark corner of the basement.

Now I’m into modifying those Costco down throws into warm weather quilts. It dawned on me that the weak link with these throws is the sewn-through baffles. I am thinking that a layer of Pertex Quantum over the outside might help make it a wee bit warmer, and at a scant weight penalty.

Now here is the question. I noticed that one side of the material is more shiny than the other. I am wondering which side should be exposed to the air and which side be in contact with the quilt. Does one side happen to have a DWR Tx, or is there some other difference between the two sides? I have 2 wind shirts made of Quantum. My Montane smock appears to have the shiny side on the inside next to my base layer, with the slightly duller surface on the outside.  An earlier (2007?) version of the Marmot Ion, when they used Quantum, looks the same on both sides. So I’m a bit confused as to the shiny/non-shiny surfaces, and which side should be exposed to the air.

Is anyone able to help me figure it out? I have one week to make a decision, and then my friend is getting her sewing machine out and we go to work. Thanks in advance.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

The calendered side is the shiny side and goes on the inside.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Place the fabric on a surface and partially fold it over so both sides are accessible.  Put a puddle of water on each.  Put a paper towel underneath on the backside of the fabric where the puddles are.  Leave it for several hours to see if there’s any difference.  I bet they’ll be the same.

Calendaring is where they heat treat one side which makes it shiny.  You’re supposed to put that side against the down which is more downproof.  Not applicable in your case.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

Gary,

Just reminding you that these Costco down throws have extremely poor breathability, and adding a layer of Pertex Quantum would further reduce it to none.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks guys – so shiny side on the inside it will be. After I first posted I used my google-fu to see what I could learn. Couldn’t find out, but I did learn something else. It turns out that the inside of the material is woven with coarser fibers, which wicks moisture to the outer layer of finer fibers. Clever concept. It would be best if any moisture inside (like insensible perspiration) could more easily be dissipated to the outside.

I’ll let Barb know that the shiny side goes next to the quilt, and also why. She’ll think I’m pretty smart. I’m quite interested in whether the Quantum layer will add a bit of warmth to this cheap quilt. The first one we made was lengthened by 6-8 “, and it can be slipped inside the Quantum-covered one for even more warmth. There’s plenty of room inside these quilts, so I’m not worried about compressing any down to speak of. Each one will likely weigh ~ 17 oz. I will need to do some serious patio testing to see how warm they each are at 55* F, 50* F, and 45* F. And to what lower temperature the combination of the two will be comfy. What I like about that first one is how bloody roomy it is – great for Costa Rica camping, and for crashing on the floor of Dick and Barb’s mountain place. I’ve spent some July nights at Glacier Park campgrounds with 50* F lows, and these quilts just might work for that as well (but Aaron estimated the lower limit to be maybe 55* F, so we’ll see). Anyway, this is a fun (and cheap) project to keep this geek occupied during these warm late fall months around here ( I love the warmish La Nina winters in Boulder).

Thanks for your help.

Edit – Thanks for that heads up, Ivo. I only now saw your post. I didn’t realize they have such poor breathability. I’ll watch for that. But Pertex Quantum is so superb in that regard, maybe it will somewhat compensate. Or I will end up with soggy 700 fill down.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

Pertex is not a pump.  It is another barrier to air flow (your stated intent).

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Yes, Greg, I’ll soon see how this all works. It could be a bust, but maybe there’s a niche for such a design, who can say? Time will tell.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools