Topic

Permethrin sources (buying a lot!) in Europe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Permethrin sources (buying a lot!) in Europe?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Federico Calboli
    BPL Member

@fedster9

Hi All, I have managed to get *one* bottle of permethrin spray off ebay.  I would like to get reliable local source (because you know, it is *cheaper*! *customs*!), but it seems hard to find.  I would like to get loads, so that I can properly soak stuff in it, not just give them a polite nebulisation.  I hike in places where large mammals numbers have exploded, wolves are nowhere enough to keep numbers in check (and they get illegally shot) and ticks are now very common, carrying different kinds of Borrelia and tick borne viruses.

I’d love to impregnate thoroughly the hiking clothing of all the family to keep stuff hopefully under control.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Hi Federico,

Not sure if you would be interested in mixing your own… If you do you can probably get it at agricultural stores.

https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/

Federico Calboli
    BPL Member

@fedster9

Thanks!  It is a great idea!  I will check what agricultural stores have — my concern is that it might be mixed with other insecticides.  Can anybody recommend a specific brand?  I suspect that permethrin is not that available to start with in Europe (hard to find online…).  For instance, the brand in the link is available in small doses at extortionate prices on Amazon.de (being actually sold from the US).

Bob K
    BPL Member

@seventy2002

Looking on EU Amazon sites, I see permethrin sprays sold as “Insect Ecran” in France and “Bio Kill” in Italy. I found a European Commission document dealing with permethrin as a livestock insecticide. It notes “the product is currently placed on the market of Belgium and the Netherlands.”

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you cannot find permethrin locally, perhaps you can ship your clothing to Insect Shield and have them treat it.  The cost is about US$10 per item for small unit quantities.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools