Topic

Performance Evaluation of $12.99 RockBros Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Performance Evaluation of $12.99 RockBros Jacket

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

In November 2013, a post was made on BPL concerning the low cost Faux-Dini.  This post has persisted over the years, as people bought or simply discussed very low cost garments.  The thread is found here:    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/84082/#comments

Since I always want to save some money, I purchased one of the garments that was recently discussed and wore it a bit and did some quantitative testing.  The link below will get you to my evaluation of a really low cost piece of gear.  It may be found here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajreajs5z7k4koy/

I did not wear this garment on a hike and did not do field tests in demanding weather conditions.  If people out there have experience with this garment, let me know  what you think of a garment that costs less then 10% of some of the alternatives out there.  If there is another Faux-Dini that you like, let me know.  If it is still available on line, I have a new equipment purchase budget that might just cover the cost.

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Locale: United States

I can tell from your picture that the jacket is not the same as the original and is likely not to breath well.  It looks too shiny. You might want to try something more like this

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cmAAVKtK

Now I haven’t tried this particular one but I have tried out quite a few different jackets like this. There are a bunch of them on AliExpress… and sometimes some on Ebay.

If you look at the other pictures in the thread you should see the difference between the two materials. I like the type I posted and abhor the other type.

Also you should be aware that anything you order from AliExpress is in Asian sizing. I usually wear a large but generally buy a xxl or xxxl when I buy items from there. They usually have a sizing chart. I have gotten a lot of different items from there for rediculous pricing with mostly good luck but it is always a bit of a gamble, plus it takes about a month to receive it.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

As I mentioned on the other thread there is no “other” fauxdini-just the one I linked there.

Please don’t get me wrong though, I enjoyed your write up and the time you spent doing it.

Thanks.

I would more than happily read a report one on the real fauxdini should you be able.

Cheers.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

If some people can list any of these jackets that they think perform like a real-dini, and are low in price, I would be happy to test another.

Steve

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Stephen Seeber,

How about the one’s made or at least logo’d by “Dooy”.  They call them everything from wind jackets to sun jackets to cycling jackets.  But if you search on Amazon for Dooy wind jacket you’ll find it.  Mine is translucent green with a hood and is priced around $20.  I enjoyed your fleece piece.  I have the cheapo Dooy but just picked up a BD Alpine Start on sale for ~ $85.  The weight difference has me hesitating putting the BDAS out in the field, but I understand it’s a good piece of kit to ride on top of a Macpac Nitro.  Would love your expert input.  Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools