Topic

Perfect Asym Down Underquilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Perfect Asym Down Underquilt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Zachary
    BPL Member

@tropicalzach

Locale: Pacific Northwest

In the below video I introduce a custom 20-degree asymmetrical down underquilt specifically made for the Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker Zip. I recognize that there have been other attempts to make an asymmetrical underquilt, but I have never seen one specifically made for the Hennessy Hammock or one that uses down for the insulation. To accomplish this build, I sent my Hennessy Hammock Undercover Protector to Ben Smith of Goose Feet Gear and worked with him to create a down underquilt specifically for my Ultralight Backpacker hammock using the undercover protector. As far as we know, this is the first ever down underquilt specifically made for the Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker Asym Zip.

YouTube video

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for posting – your asym quilt looks great and I’m really glad you’re so happy with it.  It doesn’t look like you did your buddy any favors with the Jacks R Better UQ that you lent him to use…Where’s the UQ suspension?  I’ve never seen an UQ attached to a hammock by simply using a biner to connect the corners of the UQ over the hammock.  For $10 please try the JacksRBetter underquilt suspension on the next trip.  It would eliminate most, if not all, of your friend’s complaints.  You can also make one end of the UQ suspension shorter and the other longer to help a rectangular UQ nest you better when you’re sleeping on the diagonal in a non-asym hammock.  Dutchware Quilt Hangers ($3.00 for a pair) can help hang the UQ the same way each time and their Clip-On Quilt Hooks can help keep the edges of the UQ connected to the hammock.  Yes – It’s not quite the same as having a UQ custom fitted to your hammock like yours, but it does provide a lot more flexibility to use your expensive UQ with other hammocks OR to swap a 20-degree UQ for a 40-degree 3/4 length UQ when you’re not expecting temps to be that low.

Zachary
    BPL Member

@tropicalzach

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thank you for the feedback Kevin, all good points. The JRB suspension was part of the unit when I gave it to him, he just did not install it correctly. This told me that the JRB system was not self-explanatory without some small level of instruction (he knows better for the next trip). Once I saw this, I felt it was a good point to add to the video to show that the advantage of the Goose Feet Gear custom asym UQ is that it is self-evident of how it is supposed to be installed and how easy it is to essentially “plug & play” vs. setting up various suspensions, cinch points, connectors, etc. More importantly, the goal of the asym-designed UQ is to promote a comfortable lay on the diagonal which is less so with a rectangular UQ…specifically in regards to the Hennessy Hammock design.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools