Topic

Pecos Wilderness, New Mexico….looking for recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Pecos Wilderness, New Mexico….looking for recommendations

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

I am looking for recommendations for trails in Pecos Wilderness to do the week before Memorial Day.  I can be on the trail for 5 – 6 days.  Would prefer a loop of some kind.  Hoping to not do my long,  long miles any more…10-12 miles a day is sufficient for me now.

I’ll be sleeping under an MLD Grace tarp so will be a little conscious of the little flying pesky critters.  Looking for great scenery, pretty forested or open canyons, and some wide open spaces.

Looking forward to reading your recommendations.  Feel free to PM me or drop a few lines here.

Thanks,

Reggie

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Start at the Jack Creek trailhead (I think that’s the name). Hike up to the divide on one of several trails and hike along the divide.  I forgot the trail name but its pretty obvious on a map.  If you go counter clockwise past Trailrider Wall you end the alpine part at Pecos Baldy Lake then drop back to the trailhead.

It’s a great area but a bit high. I would pick a first night campsite a bit low to get acclimatized.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Start at the Jack Creek trailhead (I think that’s the name). Hike up to the divide on one of several trails and hike along the divide.  I forgot the trail name but its pretty obvious on a map.  If you go counter clockwise past Trailrider Wall you end the alpine part at Pecos Baldy Lake then drop back to the trailhead.

It’s a great area but a bit high. I would pick a first night campsite a bit low to get acclimatized.

Edit – there might still be snow if you go early.  I ran into some once around Memorial Day. Get a good map and have a backup route.  It will be nice even if you have to drop down to a lower trail to dodge snow.

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Thanks Luke.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

I plan on visiting Pecos, but I highly recommend you check on Gila National Forest as well.

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

I’ve pushed my trip back a month. Found my trails with lots of help from the community.

Kevin R
    BPL Member

@kevinr

It’s a beautiful area.  One of my favorite places thus far was about half a day’s hike in from Jack’s Creek trailhead.  I can’t remember the name, but I hope to circle back through there this June on the Northern New Mexico Loop.  Last time I was there ( mid-May 2017 I think), snow got pretty deep making upper elevations rather inaccessible.  I’ve been keeping tabs on precip in the region this year and it looks to be overall somewhat below average, so you may be able to get farther.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado
    Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Yes sir!  I’m heading in that general area late June. Can’t wait!!! Well, really, I guess I have to since I don’t have a StarTrek teleporter to beam me to late June. ;).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools