Topic

PCT SoBo July Start

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists PCT SoBo July Start

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stefan F
    BPL Member

@stefanf

https://lighterpack.com/r/alx4a5

~23lb base starting weight, shedding 4.75lb of once I’m out of the snow in Washington.

Any thoughts on items or areas to reduce weight further. I feel like my clothing list is very heavy. Considering swapping my insulation and rain shell but its a pricey swap for couple ounces saved.

Closer to departure I’ll have a better idea of the colder temps at night. Might leave the beanie, take lighter gloves, drop the base layer and leave the pants at home too.

Thoughts?

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

how much did you want to spend? There are several items I see that can be replaced to save sigmifcant weight.

-you can go stove less

– xlite mattress

-quilt

-ditch the pillow and just use a stuff sack filled with extra cloths

-pick a rain shell or a wind shell, not both.

-ditch the rain gloves

-ditch the contacts and fluids and wear glasses.

-use your cell phone as camera only

-you have 2 heavy insulation layers, pick one.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

Not really sure you’ll need bear spray

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Your clothing list is excessive. I recommend carrying the merino air and a lightweight down jacket. The merino air is the only additional insulation you would ever need while hiking with a rain jacket and rain pants. The lightweight down jacket would sit in your pack until you set up camp in the evening and get cold. Down is the best for this use because it has the most warmth for the weight. Your rain jacket is very heavy and should be replaced. There are lots of ultralight rain jacket options.

It looks like you don’t have a good option for protecting your legs from bug bites. Using rain pants for bugs in hot weather is super miserable. I like to carry my ultralight patagonia houdini wind pants to throw on over shorts when I stop moving.

Your camera is adding a bunch to your base weight but I’m going to assume that you enjoy photography and it’s worth the weight to you.

What is your experience level? Where do you live? Maybe you should get a couple of weekend trips in with this kit before you leave.

Stefan F
    BPL Member

@stefanf

Thanks Shane and Justin.

• I think I’ll ditch the fleece and swap the rain jacket/wind jacket for a single lighter alternative. Unfortunately most UL jackets, (OR Helium) are too short in the torso for me, but the Patagonia Rainshadow and Alpine Houdini look promising. I’ll look in to Mont Bell too.
    • Regarding bug protection for the legs, the Houdini pants would be perfect, but are too short for me. I’ve planned on taking the Alpine Houdini pants as they are cut longer, but will look at a cooler alternative.
    • Stoveless will probably happen come California, I’m just a little concerned about colder temps when in the high altitude areas of Washington that still have snow. Plus, coffee!
    • Yes the camera is heavy, but its my one allowance. I’m a photographer!

I’m from Vancouver, so I’ll testing out the kit up in our higher elevation snowpack areas in the next couple weeks. Fortunately I’m only a couple hours drive to the trailhead from home, so I can pick the best window to start and pack accordingly closer to the date.

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

I’ve enjoyed my Houdini windbreak dayhiking quite a bit, but I don’t see the benefit for backpacking.  For backpacking I strongly prefer a rain shell with large pitzips.  The pitzips + full front zip make the rain jacket viable as a wind jacket in my experience.  I did actually carry a Houdini for the whole PCT and pretty much never used it.

For reference, what I carried last year on the PCT was a lightweight patagucci capilene long sleeve baselayer, an REI 1/4 zip fleece, the lightheart gear rain jacket (which you can get a custom length for a little extra $$$), and a lightweight down jacket for camp.  FWIW this combo was fine for a wide range of conditions, was relatively inexpensive, very durable, and appears to be significantly lighter than your current setup.

A sidenote would be that I started with a MB Versalite.  It wet out instantly in the first rainstorm I used it in, and I had cold rain dripping down my back within an hour.  I found it to be not worth the $$$.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tough SOBO year, last I looked snow pack was at 128% in the North Cascades.

Andrea Feucht
    BPL Member

@misstenacity

Yes, it will be interesting to see how quickly the melt happens. It’s going FAST in the Sierras by now, melting out quicker than it did in the last big year (2012, I believe). So maybe, hopefully, fast melt in the far north, too…. I’m watching this thread with great interest. :-)

Stefan F
    BPL Member

@stefanf

The start date is getting closer and the gear list is getting the finally tweaks.

• Dropped the Arcteryx Zeta and Patagonia Houdini for the Patagonia Strom Racer. Saved ~400g.
    • Going to keep the Atom LT for now. Know and love the jacket. Might switch on the trip if I really feel the need.
    • Starting with Z Lite pad. Might switch to NeoAir if I can’t get the Z Lite comfortable.
    • Dropped the Patagonia R2 fleece.
    • Starting with Salomon XA PRO 3D. Better toe box for kicking in steps in snow and snugger fit with crampons. Will switch to Lone Peaks when the snow is gone in Oregon.
    • Added Dirty Girls Gaiters, Julbo Trek sunglasses, swapped camera lenses, swapped for battery pack that charges twice as fast.

Next is a final tweak of the medical kit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools