Topic

Pattern for Arc Haul…?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pattern for Arc Haul…?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Derek L
    BPL Member

@ursa

I have the bulk of the material I’ll need, just a few extra stuff to pick up like buckles, but I’d love to make my own arc frame. I know at one time ZPacks used to sell DIY stuff, and stopped, and a number of guys on here have done their own carbon arc frames.

Does anyone have a pattern to follow? The pack itself I’m fairly set on, it’s the frame and how it attaches that has me a bit puzzled.

Thank you muchly in advance.

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

Hi,

I recently used this pattern and just made adjustments for my needs.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/customer-project-hyper_d300-pack

It’s a lot of work and needs constant focus. I made some stupid mistakes but was great fun 😁

Derek L
    BPL Member

@ursa

That’s exactly the type of thing I was after! It’ll take me a bit to work through and see how it pieces together, but that’s way more to go on than I had before.

Thank you very much. I have the fabric and some hardware; the pocket mesh regularly sells out on Ripstop, it seems, so I have some more shopping to do anyway.

How much does it weigh?

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

I made it from x-pac 21 RC. That’s 165gsm I weighted it without the hipbelt (because it wasn’t done 😂) and was about 650 grams.

The same user as the pattern above made this one

MYOG pack #3. Arc style with integrated lumbar pad/back panel.

It has a lot of detailed images.

I made the front and sides out of 1 panel. So only a back, bottom and front panel. This helps waterproofing the pack and saves a lot of sewing. But you can’t make seperate side pockets etc. My next idea is sew the seams of the side pockets and front pocket under a strip of gross grain.

https://dutchwaregear.com/2019/07/16/diy-ultralight-backpack-tutorial/

I followed this tutorial. And made the back of the zpacks.

Hope this helps

Derek L
    BPL Member

@ursa

I really like the lumbar pad idea :)

One more question is where you get your carbon fiber? I found DragonPlate.com, but not sure where the MYOG guys usually shop or even what best prices are for it. Carbon fiber seems to be a bit more elite and rare in this community…does the flat strip add for structure than the round rods do you know? I’d imagine it does, but doesn’t hurt to ask I guess. Thank you!

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

WOW that’s way better than the Zpacks model….

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

I didn’t do that lumbar design. It was my first pack and wanted to keep it simple. I wish my pack looked like that haha.

I bought carbon fiber rods at a diy Kite shop. I’m in the Netherlands so I could give you the adres but I don’t think you’ll buy it here 🤔

And I bought strips at aliexpress the strips are more solid and rigid. But I found it’s more difficult to get them to curve. It needs a lot of pressure. So make sure you use durable webbing and reinforce everything.

The rods in going to use in a next pack with just a simple hopped frame.

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

In this post there are some rc shops that sell strips

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2618485-Graupner-Carbon-Fiber-Strips

I used 12*2mm strips. The erre I made I didn’t make a velcro opening to insert them. The strip needs to be the entire length of you’re backpanel (between load lifter and bottom of the back). I couldn’t get them in. So I needed to cut them down a bit so I could bend them and insert them into the sleeves. But that meant that it was about 1cm shorter then the backpanel. Now if I tension it it pulls the backpanel in weird shapes. Lesson learned….

If you have any questions you can always ask or pm me.

Derek L
    BPL Member

@ursa

The sources for carbon fiber really help – my search must be off because the only ones I was turning up were way too expensive, one even wanted almost $40 for shipping. Yikes.

Last question about the carbon fiber strips: The pattern says 72″ is needed but doesn’t mention a specific length for the individual cuts. From different sources I can get it in either 48″ + 24″, or two 36″ pieces…but it depends on the lengths it gets cut. I know it’ll depend on torso size, but what lengths did you need the carbon cut? Thank you :)

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

<p style=”text-align: left;”>It depends on where you want your load shifter.</p>
    And one more thing I did wrong (the pack was for my wife so it worked) I measured my back and made the pack to fit me at the maximum height. But when you bend the strips the torso height decreases. So it didn’t fit me anymore…. It’s just 1 or 2 cm but still.

I think of I was to do it again I would make the load shifter at approx 62cm so 24″ and two or three horizontal. Mine were 12″ I think.

But please measure measure and measure again. You’re torso might be different. I made my pack first and adjusted the length of the rods last.

By the way I used 12*2mm carbon strips.

Derek L
    BPL Member

@ursa

You think the 36″ x 2 is okay or should I go for the 48 + 24?

I realize it’s kind of silly to be so picky, since when you buy an Arc Haul you only get to choose one of three basic sizes, and it seems to work okay.

Derek L
    BPL Member

@ursa

Nevermind – I get it now. I’m being stupid about it divides up. :/

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

Good luck 👍

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Was looking for very light carbon fiber strips.  Thanks.

Derek L
    BPL Member

@ursa

Bought my carbon strips from Aloft, three 1000mm for $25 inc. shipping…every other place it was way more money. Anyone who buys from Aloft: You can’t order oversize carbon fiber strips and use the default shipping because it won’t go through; you need to select Priority Mail instead of First Class. :)

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

Brilliant! Glad I could help 👍

Derek L
    BPL Member

@ursa

Coming back with a dumb question before I actually sink the needle into the first seam: what do you use for reinforcing seams? Bias tape, a thin poly webbing (probably not), or seam binding?

thank you again!

Derek L
    BPL Member

@ursa

*cant edit my post*

this is what I’m thinking of using as a seam reinforcement: https://www.sailrite.com/Top-Notch-9-Polyester-Bias-Binding-Tape-Black-1-Inch?t=1586208765187

thanks! :)

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

I think it depends on what material you are using for the pack itself. I used xpac21 rc. That very tough, and I didn’t reinforce the seam. The only reinforcements I made were the haul loop and buckle over the top. Heavy stress points. I used gross grain for that.

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

YouTube video

These is a 3 part series on how to make a pack. I watched it over and over again..

YouTube video

YouTube video

Also more parts on creating a backpack.

Regards Joost

Derek L
    BPL Member

@ursa

I’m using HyperD 300, which is very tear resistant but has some stretch to it on the bias…

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/customer-project-hyper_d300-pack

On his plan he uses polyester 1/2″ bias tape.

His pdf file is a great resource by the way. Have fun ;)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools