Topic

Patagonia's Cap 4 Hoodie vs Merino Hoodies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia's Cap 4 Hoodie vs Merino Hoodies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Stenger
    BPL Member

@matthewstenger

Locale: the beautiful northwest

Wondering if anyone has used both the Patagonia Capilene 4 1/2 zip Hoodie and one of the Merino wool garments of the same style by Ibex or Icebreaker.

I currently have the Icebreaker Compass Half-zip Hoodie. It is 230 weight merino. Its great, but heavier than the Cap 4. I have only had it for a couple months, and used it for about 2 1/2 weeks worth of backpacking. It seems like it really does not stink easily, and so far the durability is good, but my experience with lighter weight (like 150) merino is that it is not so durable.

Is the Cap 4 significantly stinkier? It says it is odor resistant, but I wonder if that is true. And how about durability? Generally I expect synthetics to be more durable than wool, but I examined a cap 4 at REI the other day and could not get over how thin it was in between the ridges.

Which would you use for a summer-long long distance backpacking adventure, as your primary base layer?

I am also looking at the Ibex Indie Hoodie which is made out of the 200 weight wool.

And if anyone knows, how do the Iclo’s of these garments compare?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

The Cap 4 has improved funk properties but it still stinks more than wool.

In my experience, the Cap 4 is more durable than it feels.  It has a stretchy knit and does feel thin in places, but mine have shown no wear with pretty rough use.  It actually seems a little more durable than the wool I have used.

As far as all summer, it may be a bit warm, depending on what you are doing.  I find it high in breathability.  It’s also really comfortable.  For all summer base use, I prefer a light long sleeve top like the newish Paty lightweight top.  But if it’s cool, I love wearing Cap 4.

Hope that is helpful.

Matthew Stenger
    BPL Member

@matthewstenger

I’d hoped with the zipper down all the way, the hood off and the sleeves rolled up it may be cool enough for summer use. That would make it an extremely versatile piece.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Cap-4 as an active layer, in summer? What temps do you see during summer? I’ve used a cap-4 hoody as an active layer during winter and even then felt a bit too warm.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Mine gets stinky just like most synthetic baselayers. It’s not as bad as my 10 year old capilene layers though. Those are really bad. Durability is ok for how thin it is. I have a double of holes worn through at high wear areas around the waist.

It is entirely too hot to use during summer. At least for me. I prefer capilene 2 for that. I can use the cap 4 in winter if it’s below freezing.

Also, I prefer the cap 4 zip neck paired with a balaclava. It’s a much more useful combination.

Matthew Stenger
    BPL Member

@matthewstenger

Thanks for you response Alex. I had no idea it was quite that warm.

I would be using it in high country mountains for two months on either side of the solstice.

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

I’ve used a number of hoodies including the Cap 4, and Merino ones from Ibex, Icebreaker and Sherpa.  I’ve been happy with all of them but they have different advantages, Cap 4 is more breathable and conversely the merino ones are more windproof.  Merino is more odor resistant than Cap 4 but none of them are great.   Cap 4 is warmer under a shell.  Merino is more fragile and more hassle to wash.  This last summer I used  an OR Echo hoodie designed for sun protection on about 175m of the Colorado Tr. , the West Coast Tr.  and misc other trips.  I liked it more for general summer use than the other alternatives and it’s become my go to hoodie for summer mountain backpacking.  Everything considered my overall preference in order would be the OR Echo, Cap 4, Merino.  That said they all work well

Matthew Stenger
    BPL Member

@matthewstenger

Thanks Ron!

I will look into the Echo!

edit: Thanks for your response too, Jeff. Did not see your post earlier.

I dislike balaclavas. But I am now thinking maybe a lightweight or mid weight with a zip neck, plus carry a buff, which can function as a balaclava.

Matthew Stenger
    BPL Member

@matthewstenger

Did you find it was very breathable?

Its only the lack of neck zip the concerns me.

Was the Echo also warm under a shell?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

+1 to the Echo.  It is a lot like the lightest weight Paty Cap.  It is very thin and light.  It is very breathable.  I would not describe the Echo as warm under a shell compared to anything else. It provides protection from the sun and wicks sweat and that’s about all – which is just about what I usually want in the summer.

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Agree with Ben, it’s thin, light and very breathable.  I worried about the lack of a neck zip but it wasn’t a big deal in practice.  It gives a bit of warmth under a shell, but that’s not it’s strong point.  It’s great summer gear, but I supplement it for warmth.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Can anyone compare the OR Echo Hoody to Patagonia’s Tropic Comfort Hoody II? They appear very similar, but according to their manuf. listed weights of 4.7 oz. and 8.3 oz., respectively, I would think that the OR is noticeably cooler.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

the MONTBELL COOL HOODIE has a 10.6 inch zip, I like the woman’s version with the full zip, the material is very light and breathable

Matthew Stenger
    BPL Member

@matthewstenger

That Cool Hoodie may be just what I was looking for.

Thanks for the link.

There is more discussion of it here:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/106291/

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

I use a piece that’s the EXACT material of Cap4/Thermal weight, the Haglofs LIM Power Dry Hoody. Do not be afraid of the thin face fabric, it’s durable enough.

I’ve used 160-250 weight merino and am sick of how non-durable it is. It’s pricey, plus I think poly has better field performance. What I would be looking more at is RAB merino+ (65%merino 35%poly.) I’ve been using the 120 boxers and it’s making want to try the 160 weight tops.

In the end, like someone said above, each has their own advantages.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Are you planning on using these as base layers? Personally, it’s possible for me to overheat shirtless in freezing temperatures in the right circumstance (uphill, heavy pack, pushing hard). So I want to be able to strip down to a thin shirt when I need too. I like a light hoody as a second layer when its chilly out. I find that a 150 weight merino long sleeve and a cap 4 hoody works well together. Lately I have been using that haglofs hoody and like it better than the cap 4.

Matthew Stenger
    BPL Member

@matthewstenger

Base layers, yes.

I sunburn easily, so I want a long sleeve as my primary layer. I will be planning on carrying a wind shirt, a down hoody jacket, and I am thinking some sort of vest that I can layer over my long sleeve.

Justin your idea of layering a cap 4 over a lightweight long sleeve layer might work, but I worry that it would feel too constricted. I tried on some Cap 4s at REI over my 200 weight wool LS and it was not super comfortable.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

When feeling the need to double baselayers, I often resort to sleeveless shirts. I feel they add a lot of comfort without feeling restrictive. Preferably very thin ones. I tried thin wool, but it proved not durable. Cap 1 or other ultra thin synthetics commonly found in the running section are my recommendation. Although I would steer away from the tanks with thin shoulders if wearing a pack.

Currently, my favorite is a Craft Mesh Sleeveless, which comes in black or white for men:

https://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10551&productId=1070742&summaryOnly=true&quantity=1

Why do women get more options?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Matthew, my cap 4 is a size medium which fits fine and comfortable, but if I intended to use it as a base layer I would go with a small. Maybe try a size up and see how it fits? Having a layering system where stuff fits well and comfortable is important.

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

I spent a ton of time in a Cap 4 hoodie on the PCT and other adventures in 2015- I slept wearing it most nights, and I also used it as a town shirt because it was black and didn’t how dirt. (My main hiking shirt was dirty enough that it looked like I rolled down the trail.)  Obviously, I didn’t smell very good.

After a wash or two, the Cap 4 hasn’t really retained a ton of that stink- it’s got sort of that “general outdoors” odor if you stick your face in it, but it’s really not that bad. It’s got enough of a smell that I wouldn’t necessarily rock it in my day-to-day life in civilization, but it’s honestly not all that far from that threshold.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I regularly both a Patagonia Capilene 4 hoodie and the equiv from Icebreaker regularly.  The Icebreaker is my go-to around town but when I am backpacking or engaged in high output physical activity I will go for the Cap4 everytime:

• more durable
    • just slightly warmer with no wind protection
    • significantly warmer with shell
    • dries significantly faster

Cap4 is not as resistant to odor as wool, but I have used it several days in a row without hating myself.

Cap4 won’t be my primary on a summer trip… I overheat easily and use silk-weight shirts.

For me Cap4 is a shoulder season / winter shirt. It’s brilliant when combined with a wind shirt between 30-55F.  By zip/unzip the wind shirt I have been completely comfortable because the Cap4 fabric is so air permeable. I have wore it in warmer conditions, but I really start sweating if doing a hard uphill when it’s >55F.  On level ground at a casual pace I have been ok up to around 70F with the sleeves pushed up and zipper undone.

–mark

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I’ve worn both the Patagonia Cap 4 Hoody and Ibex Hooded Indie (as Ibex likes to call it). I also have an Ibex Zip-Neck T in their lightest wool.

The Cap 4 Hoody is highly breathable, very warm for the weight, has a warmer hood than the Ibex Indie (the Cap 4 hood has doubled-up material and has a balaclava shape which comes up high over the neck and chin), dries faster and is warmer under a wind shirt or shell. It’s been surprising durable though I wouldn’t crawl through brush with it. The high breathability means it won’t keep you warm in wind but it’s surprisingly warm under a wind shirt. The Ibex merino Zip T and Indie are more odor resistant but will also build up pit odor with extended use before a wash. I’ll sometimes wear the Cap 4 (or in winter an R1 Hoody) over the merino zip T.

I wouldn’t use the Cap 4 Hoody as a summer sun layer – I prefer a non-insulative sun top. Also prefer a good coverage sun hat like the Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat to the hoody on a sun shirt.

I did get my Cap 4 Hoody in a light gray color so it wouldn’t heat up as much pushing through any warmer sunny stretches and I’ve been happy with the choice.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I tend to do the same thing as Justin.

I find that a 150 weight merino long sleeve and a cap 4 hoody works well together.

I use a (2009) Patagonia Capilene 2 long sleeve crew as a base layer and then wear my (2014) Patagonia Capilene 4 Hoody over that. As a base layer, a size medium for the Cap 4 would be what I would wear, however I have a size large. It layers well over the Cap 2 shirt, which is a very loose weave and rather thin and fits a bit closer.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

It turns out I’m a hoody addict:

My collection listed in order of favorite

1.  MEC T3.   (Same warmth and functionality as the cap4 but an ounce lighter.  My go-to piece)

2.  Cap4  (awesome. But fabric is doubled on the hood so slightly heavier, which I find unnecessary)

3.  R1 hoody (for colder weather)

4.  Melanzana micro grid (super cozy.  Best hood and pockets)

5.  Ibex hooded indi  (best anti stink, but not durable and slightly heavier)

6.  Arc’teryx konseal (built in balaclava is nice, but it runs small and feels kinda scratchy)

7.  OR radiant hybrid hoody (durable, but boxy fit and the weight to warmth ratio doesn’t work for me compared to the T3)

8.  NW alpine spider hoody (Nice, but not as warm for the weight.  I think the newer ones might be improved?)

9.  Icebreaker 260 hoody.  (Nice warmth and fit, but heavy and drys very slow.)

10.  Arc’teryx AR baselayer hoody.   Meh.  Too thin, no zip.  I actually sold this.

I echo others comments about combining wool w/ synthetic.  A T3 or cap4 over a Smartwool nts 150 wool Tshirt or baselayer works great for me.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Forgot to mention I have sun hoodies:

-OR echo hoody- small fit, no zip, not my favorite

-Patagonia technical sun hoody -stiff, weak hem tore on first use

-Exofficio solcool hoody.  My favorite of the sun hoodies, but makes me feel weird and soggy.

Wow….I really am a nerd :/

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools