Topic

Patagonia Sun Stretch Shirt Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Patagonia Sun Stretch Shirt Review

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Patagonia Sun Stretch Shirt Review

The Patagonia Sun Stretch Shirt is a lightweight nylon-polyester blend shirt. I use it as a trekking base layer or insect-protection layer in camp. This review reflects my long term experience with this shirt – more than two years and hundreds of miles of use.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Another option might be the OR Minimo Shirt Long Sleeve Nylon shirt as my Medium is 5.1oz.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

OR does not make a minimo but Exofficio does?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Just bought one of these today at Patagonia’s 30% off sale. Previously I was using Patagonia’s Gone Again L/S shirt, but they don’t make that any more.

One of the things Patagonia does well with these shirts is provide the same benefits as a normal trekking shirt (e.g. light, fast dry, bug proof etc) but they make them in nice patterns instead of boring solid colors. Patagonia makes boring trekking shirts too (e.g. Sol Patrol shirt) but the Sun Stretch has quite a few nice patterns.

The Sun Stretch is a bit heavier than I’d like, as the zippered chest pockets add probably an ounce to what otherwise would be a 150g shirt. The zippered pockets will come in handy sometimes, but the Gone Again was probably a better shirt, and it can still be found on eBay occasionally for pretty cheap. I used my Gone Again shirt for the full PCT thru hike and help up well. It only died recently when I put a huge tear in it bushwacking.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

It’s a great shirt but personally I felt it a bit warm for regular temp backpacking (though I tend to run warm).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Your right John S., it is the Ex Officio Minimo

matthew rangel
    BPL Member

@mrangel

Ryan, or other person using the shirt in question:

Any comments on the stink factor of this great Patagucci shirt? How often did you wash it in the field on extended trips?

For years now, I have refused to wear polyester hiking shirts cause they hold stink in them once my sweat dries into them. Instead, I’ve been wearing thin long sleeve 100% cotton shirts that dry fast like handkerchiefs do. Cotton doesn’t develop the persistent odor like the poly shirts do and they are only $2.50 at the thrift stores. The one I’ve been using now for years dries in 10 minutes on a rock in direct sun.

That being said, I’d prefer a polyester/nylon shirt if I can find one that has a decent odor resistance…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I prefer 100% nylon as it stinks less than polyester. I couldn’t imagine a cotton shirt except in extreme temps where you want the cooling

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

Ryan —

What hipbelt pockets are those?

John Schutzman
    BPL Member

@jjoschutz

Just finished 80 miles on the Georgia AT in May and northern 100 miles of the northern JMT in August.  I want to highly recommend the Patagonia Tropic Comfort Hoody II. The shirt is UPF 50 and when sprayed with 10% Premthrin gives excellent sun and insect protection. The shirt keeps you cool and dry. I recommend a long billed hat for face protection. My only complaint is that dirt and grime are never completely removed with washing. The shirt eliminates your neck getting sunburned and the need for a drape on your hat.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I wouldn’t have thought it would be mosquito resistant with how thin and breathable it is for a button down shirt.

Ryan, how much bug pressure did you encounter with the Sun Stretch?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I’ve got my summer backpacking trip planned in the Sierra, but I’m going the first week of August, which is earlier than I would normally go so I assume I’ll have mosquitos to deal with instead of just the sun.  I just picked up one of these shirts from Wornwear to try instead of my normal two bugproof shirts (Ex Officieo Minimo and REI Sahara) in hopes that I can get a cooler, more breathable shirt and still keep the bug protection and sun protection associated with nylon button up hiking shirts.  I do plan on treating it with Permethrin prior to the trip, so hopefully that helps.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

^^ I primarily backpack in the Sierra and for the past 4 years have worn this shirt on every summer trip. I had mine professionally Insect Shield treated 3 1/2 years ago because I found out the hard way that it didn’t fully stop mosquitoes from poking through. Works great now. During hot, low elevation, days it can be a bit stuffy, but it fits loose enough that there’s a bit of air flow and opening a button or two makes a difference.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

That’s a good looking shirt. It would work well for me on trip to the pub.

But I have never found a woven shirt that works for backpacking.  I always overheat, presumably from a lack of breathability.   A knit shirt is what works for me. Is it just me, or do others sweat too much in a shirt like this?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I sweat a lot either way, and prefer a knit shirt – I like OR Echo shirts and lightweight wool/poly blends like the defunct Patagonia Wool 1 and 2, as well as Rab Merino+ 120 and 160,  but in peak mosquito season, I like something with harder for them to bite through.  I hope the Patagonia Sun Stretch Shirt is bug proof enough yet more breathable than some of the ones I have tried before.

On a side note, after not being able to get permits last year, I am trying for the Southern Sierra High Route again this year.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Outside of bug season I prefer synthetic knits. If I’m expecting mosquitos I wear a Sun Stretch that’s been treated by InsectShield. It’s significantly cooler than the Sahara I used to hike in. I particularly like the vertical chest pocket zips which expose a large mesh area. Also, the name is meaningful, the fabric has a really nice stretch to it that increases comfort.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I too have an REI Sahara shirt, and while I have liked it fairly well, I am looking for something cooler, so it sounds like I’m on the correct path.  I just now have to decide if I want to treat it myself with Permethrin spray or send it to Insect Shield.  I’ve had them treat things for me before, and been happy with the results, but it is most cost effective when you can send in multiple garments, and I’m hesitant to send in my Echo Mesh pants from 2011 with some holes and patches as I don’t expect them to last me more than a year or two more before I have to replace them (I’ll eventually replace them with the same pants).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools