Topic

Patagonia M10 Repair Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia M10 Repair Help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeff
    BPL Member

@jkpaulsen

Hi all,

On a trip last weekend, I discovered a tear in the armpit of my Patagonia M10 rain jacket. I stopped in the local Patagonia store today and learned that a repair would probably take 19 weeks! I don’t want to be without a rain jacket during prime hiking season, and I don’t want to buy a new jacket when this one still works great but for the tear.

I’d like to find a way to fix this on my own, either “permanently” or at least until the off season when I can do without the jacket for a while. I’m wary, though, about temporary fixes that might make things worse in the long run or that might make a permanent repair later non-viable.

Any suggestions?

Pit Tear

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I can’t tell, where exactly is the tear? In the armpit or in front of/ behind? Personally if you want it to be done professionally, I would just send it in, buy a replacement for the waiting time, and then sell the replacement when you get your first one back. Any suggestion you get here is just going to be a patch job unless you are very skilled with the needle and machine.

I kinda doubt it will actually take 19 weeks, usually those quotes are buffered quite a bit to cover the company.

Jeff
    BPL Member

@jkpaulsen

It’s directly in the pit, towards the back. I am not skilled with the needle and machine. Not a bad idea about buying a temporary jacket, but that probably wouldn’t be popular with the family controller.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I definitely get that! I’d argue for that especially if you can snag a deal on Reddit, you could sell for about what you paid. It would be more like “borrowing” from the family controller :)

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

It sounds like they are assuming the rip was due to the customer and not the product.  If that is not the case,  I would call first, but return it with details about how the rip occurred.  And buy another one.  Or perhaps find another product if there was no error on your part and the jacket was defective or poorly made.  That you “discovered” the rip after the fact, and were not aware of it when it happened suggests there was no customer abuse.

Thought that the M-10 was only available now in a pullover.  Was this an older jacket?  If no luck with Patagonia in terms of a prompt repair or return, I would look for a business that does alternations locally and see if they can do a prompt repair.  We have one in our small town (small except on weekends when half the state of Massachusetts arrives).  You could try Rainy Pass, but they probably would not be quicker.

Hope you can get into a workable jacket soon.  I have one of the original M-10 jackets and there has never been a problem.

Jeff
    BPL Member

@jkpaulsen

Sam – the jacket is a 2013 model and has definitely been through the wringer. I’m not sure how the rip occurred – it very well may be that I caught it on something, or that years of sweat weakened the seam there (ew). But regardless of the cause, I’d like to get it fixed. Good idea on Rainy Pass – I’ll reach out to them.

Luckily, another BPL member offered a loaner to get me through hiking season, solving my main problem. What a great community this is!

Jeff
    BPL Member

@jkpaulsen

For posterity, Patagonia’s turnaround time was 17 weeks on this, so the initial estimate was pretty good.

They did a good job on the patch, but it is not waterproof. To be fair, they did warn me that would be the case, but I was hoping the sales agent was wrong.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools