Topic

Patagonia Cap Thermal weight hoody vs Cap Air (not merino blend) hoody?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Cap Thermal weight hoody vs Cap Air (not merino blend) hoody?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

I’m looking for advice on a versatile piece that can function as a base or mid layer.  Thanks!

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Clarification – Cap Thermal hoody vs R1 Air hoody.  I have a Kuiu Peloton 97 hoody I like, but looking to add something a little warmer but still versatile (breathable) for cooler/colder weather.  I appreciate it.  Steve

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Steve,

The Thermal, made with Polartec Power Grid HE, has a very powerful wicking function. The voids in its structure provide very good airflow and breathability. It excels as both base and midlayer, kind of integrated. With a wind shirt over the top, I wear mine hiking down to 20F. Midlayer isn’t really necessary until temps below that.

My understanding is that the Polartec fabric used in the R1 Air was developed to minimize the shedding of microplastic fibers from polyester insulation. It does not have high warmth/weight and has no wicking function. Therefore, it will not perform very well as a baselayer and will not provide the warmth of other much lighter pieces.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks Stumphges!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools