Topic

Pasta Puttaesca (dehydrated)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Pasta Puttaesca (dehydrated)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Dalton Cooper
    BPL Member

@dcooper

Locale: Carolinas

I love carbs a little too much and pasta is something I will never get sick of, especially on the trail. I don’t really worry about protein at dinner since I pretty much eat my body weight in almonds during the day for snacks. In the frontcountry, pasta puttanesca is one of my favorite weeknight dinners since it’s easy, quick, and uses ingredients that don’t go bad. This is basically my go-to pasta puttanesca recipe, slightly modified so as to dehydrate a little better (read: be less oily and fatty than what I eat at home). Happy eating!

• 1 t olive oil (just enough to keep things from sticking)
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 t red pepper flakes
    • 1 28 oz can tomatoes, drained and crushed (use San Marzano or fire roasted here for better flavor)
    • 1 8 oz can black olives, sliced
    • 1 T capers
    • 1 T anchovy paste
    • Italian seasoning, to taste
    • Black pepper, to taste

In a dutch oven, place the oil, garlic, and pepper on medium heat and wait until the pepper and garlic starts to sizzle. Stir for a couple minutes, until garlic has browned and is fragrant.

Add the tomatoes and stir. Bring to a simmer, then add the remaining ingredients and simmer 15-30 minutes, when most of the liquid has evaporated off.

Spoon the sauce onto your dehydrator’s fruit leather trays, then dehydrate at 135, until the sauce is leathery and the olives are completely dry. Every couple hours, flip, rotate, stir, and dab oil off the sauce. This will take a while; mine went for something like 12+ hours. Once it’s done, tear it up into small pieces and allow to cool completely.

Package w/ cooked, dehydrated pasta and store in a ziplock baggie in the freezer until it’s time to hike. Takes about 10-15 minutes to rehydrate w/ boiling water in a cozy – be sure to bring black pepper and freeze-dried Parmesan cheese as well!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools