Topic

Partial testing of new Columbia Outdry Ex NanoLite Shell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Partial testing of new Columbia Outdry Ex NanoLite Shell

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

This is the latest Outdry Ex shell to be released by Columbia.  As is well known, Outdry is a proprietary material that provides waterproof, breathable performance without a DWR coating. This is accomplished by placing the water proof membrane on the jacket exterior.  The only other fabric that I am aware of that makes such a claim is Gore Shakedry.  This latest version weighs in at about 7 ounces.  So, how does it perform?

For this jacket, I am interested in its breathability or MVTR.  MVTR describes the ability of the fabric to permit water vapor to pass through the membrane.  So, the MVTR data for for this and other Outdry jackets I have tested are presented below.

As we can see from the numbers, the Nanolite, with an MVTR of 1870, provides the best performance of the Outdry jackets I have tested.  The average of all WPB jackets I have tested is 2232, so, its performance is below that of many WPB jackets on the market.  I have provided MVTR numbers for a number of other jackets I have tested for comparison.

Although this jacket is improved, its MVTR will be inadequate for higher levels of activity.  The jacket would be well served with the addition of pit zips.

As to how well it performs and its durability in the field, for that, we will have to wait for reports from those willing to pony up $300 for this jacket.  The jacket I tested has been returned to Columbia.

Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

Thanks for the info. It seems Columbia is still searching for the right mix of breathability, durability, waterproofness, and weight.  I thought this semi-relaunch of OutDry in the lightweight version would be better. Also, not a fan of the baggy fit.

Do you think the non-DWR category will eventually become the preferred option in rainwear or will it remain somewhat of a niche? Just a little surprised so many manufacturers are sticking with the traditional approach when the Montbell Peak and some running shells from ArcTeryx and Gore seem pretty promising for backpackers.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

I wish I could answer your question.  There are two non-DWR solutions and they make very different trade offs.  Shakedry provides moisture vapor transfer at the cost of durability.  Outdry seems to make the opposite trade.  I don’t know that anyone has a fabric solution that delivers it all.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Kind of surprised at how well the MB Versalite rated in comparison. Seems like a bit of a sleeper in this category.  The MB Peak is delicate (by all accounts) and the OR Skyward is  silly heavy.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Versalite was my go to shell until I started using MB Peak.  I use the MB Peak year round now.  You do have to be careful with it. Avoid abrasion on rocks, limbs and shrubs.  However,  tenacious tape is available in case you get little holes in it, as I have.  I will test a brand new Versalite tomorrow and will see if anything has changed.

Weekend Gear Guide
    BPL Member

@weekend-gear-guide

Thanks for sharing Stephen. Can’t wait to see how the new Versalite performs, but I’m guessing it’s going to be very similar to the 2019 version as it seems to use the same GORE-TEX Infinium Windstopper material.

Since you wear the MB Peak all year round, do you think the MVTR tipping point where pit zips are no longer required is around the 3300 g/m2/day range?

Also, if you are able to get your hands on the Patagonia Stormstride with their latest 3L H2No standard performance shell, I think you will see a significant improvement in MVTR over your Patagonia Torrentshell 2.5L H2No performance standard shell.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Weekend:

The new Versalite tested a little lower than the prior one that I tested, but close enough.

I would say that pit zips are always required.  You can overwhelm  the MVTR of any WPB jacket.  Further, in conditions when the shell fabric temperature is below freezing or there is little vapor pressure difference, ventilation can be critical to eliminating moisture.  I had pit zips installed when I purchased my MB Peak and they get lots of use.  I think Boulder Mountain Repair charged $75.  They matched the existing zippers and I got to pick the length, so mine are somewhat larger than usual.

I can look into the Stormstride.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

@steve

I still can’t get enough days on the MB Peak Shell  jacket to see its durability. I use it in town, but trips never call for it! I either need an emergency piece or something hellaciously durable.

Michel S
    BPL Member

@mossie23

Articles like these prove to me that numbers only get you so far. If the Nanolite is “inadequate for higher levels of activity”, then the 2019 Featherweight will surely be even more inadequate. Still, the Featherweight is my all time favorite rain jacket. And I’ve used it many times while hiking vigorously (25+miles with 9000+ ft of elevation gain) on days where it rained non-stop. And I’ve never had a problem with being sweaty. (So I’m happy it doesn’t have pit zips, which in my opinion add a point of failure).  All our bodies work differently, so these MVTR numbers only tell part of the story.

About the Nanolite itself… I just ordered it and I wonder… who designs the hoods at Columbia? I’ve ordered many Columbia jackets over the years to see if something fit me as well as the Featherweight, but in every case, the hood didn’t fit. And not just by a little bit. With some jackets I felt I could wear a a motorcycle helmet and a neck brace and the hood still wouldn’t fit. And the adjustment possibilities typically don’t make it much better. There are always big gaps around the face where water could come in. The Featherweight is the only Columbia jacket I know that gets the hood somewhat right. Anybody else problems with Columbia hoods, or is it just me?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I don’t think many companies do hoods really well.  My Haglofs Ozo GTX jacket has the best hood I’ve ever used on a rain shell but it’s long discontinued.

Michel S
    BPL Member

@mossie23

Before moving away from GTX (doesn’t work in my specific case), Haglofs was my go to brand. I feel that indeed they do a pretty good job on their hoods, even on the cheaper entry models. The thing that strikes me with Columbia is that it’s not just a little off. Sure, I understand that it’s quite hard to come up with a one-size-fits-all hood, but Columbia hoods seem to me one-size-fits-none.

simon t
    BPL Member

@slippery-salmon

(noob, first post) I’ve been liking Outdry.  Breathability might not be the whole picture as outdry is thin and kind of cold when wet, keeping you cool if you just have a light layer underneath.

The very high confidence in its waterproofness and not having DWR to fail and reapply is a big plus.

It might just be that cold and wet always go together in my country, that I’m not hardcore active enough or I sweat less than average but I’d find it very hard to go back to any other kind of jacket that isn’t a single skin membrane like Outdry or Shakedry.

I’ll definitely be picking up a nanolite when I see it on deal.

(Agree pit zips would be good for when the weather is changeable and you don’t want to keep taking your jacket on and off, adding some might be a good rainy day project)

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

Did you get a chance to test the CFM at all? Was the fabric at all air permeable?

I have both the featherweight and a shakedry jacket and while the featherweight seems totally not permeable it could be very slightly. The shakedry jacket actually does seem just slightly air permeable ( I can barely breathe through it) which is a potential big win for shakedry. None of these of course are at all amazing in terms of airflow like powershield pro or some variants of ascentshell.

I have been really impressed also by the durability of Outdry EX. Super interesting that it was developed and invented by Nextec who then were bought out (or at least the Outdry tech) by Columbia. I still have some Nextec Epic gear that holds up well. I just wish they would let Mountain Hardwear use the damn Outdry EX stuff in their jackets – they are owned by Columbia after all – as MH actually knows what they are doing and would probably make some great stuff. Would love to have a baffled down parka with an outdry EX exterior as well. I really need to look in to what they are taping these jackets with.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Christopher:

Both are below what I can measure, which is .6 CFM/Ft2.  Hard to trust a breath test at such low levels.  There will be leakage between the fabric and your lips.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

Both meaning Shakedry or just the two Outdry EX garments?

I will test the Shakedry garment again – definitely hear you on the leakage between fabric and lips but I was under the impression I tried it and compared to other fabrics I know to have a higher CFM.  I believe I have the Gore R7 rain jacket. Given they made a bunch of patents on air permeable membranes a few years ago I sort of assumed those would be related to Shakedry. Although I have also heard that many of the newer Goretex Pro Shells are air permeable.

Unrelated but I have also been looking for a fabric that has stretch and is completely impermeable to air and water to use as a VBL – I find it sort of funny that we have advanced stuff like Neoshell or Ascentshell which have stretch to them but finding something that is NOT breathable is so difficult.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

I have tested Montbell Shakedry, two different years and the old Gore backpack approved Shakedry jacket.  I have tested 2015, 2019, 2020 and 2021 outdry jackets.  The 2021 is the best of the lot, but compared to Shakedry and any of the electrospun membranes, its MVTR performance remains dismal.

Air Permeability of the electrospun membranes such as Neoshell, etc., is always around 1 CFM/Ft2.  This may improve MVTR, which can be very impressive for this class of products.  It has no impact on convective cooling.  Patagonia says that Air Permeability less than 5 CFM/ft2 is essentially impermeable.  I think this is a reasonable rule of thumb.

If you are interested in vapor barrier clothing, I would look at RBH designs.  I don’t know that they would sell you any of their Vapr Thrm fabric, but you might want to check out their products.  I use their mittens, which are excellent.  With these, I no longer need battery heated gloves for my winter activities.

Brian E
    BPL Member

@hotwheels

Thank you Stephen, really appreciate all that you research and comment on.  Have MB Peak Dry so wondering if your long term testing still shows that it can be used for backpacking (I do monthly 3-4 day trips in Sierras, with 2-3 longer (5-20 day) trips per year.  Use my MB Versatile for both rain and under 30* layering while hiking.  Considering starting to use Peak Dry.

Thank you for any feedback

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

I cannot answer that any better than what I have published before. Member avi sito has posted good results for backpacking.  Ryan Jordan has had the opposite experience and he also posted that his Outdry failed due to strap wear.  For my hiking I use a lumbar bag.  No issues from that in terms of wear for Shakedry.  My 1st jacket was used for around 3 years.  It is no longer water proof and I am now using jacket 2.

Brian E
    BPL Member

@hotwheels

Thank you Stephen.  Appreciate the response and all your good work

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

I would just throw some large pieces of Kenyon ripstop repair tape or tenacious or similar on the very high wear points like the shoulders proactively – probably could increase the longevity quite a bit that way.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

I have found the total opposite in terms of air permeability – and I’m not sure why also we mainly see companies going for the variants that have 10k or 20k HH water resistance with lower CFM when much better is possible. I have some Powershield Pro (same membrane as Neoshell just lower HH and higher CFM) that tests in around 3 CFM. I’ve made a few simple garments from this and in strong wind (like sitting on a ski lift) I can definitely feel the cold wind through the fabric. I also ski often in the now discontinued Patagonia kniferidge top and bottoms (also Powershield pro) and can definitely feel a cold wind through the fabric of these too (fully taped seams on these). It’s enough if a difference I actually layer slightly differently compared to goretex. After using these higher CFM waterproof shells, for my body type at least, it’s very hard going back to the others for some activities.

Now as to why 5000HH on a waterproof shell isn’t enough (when there is clearly a benefit in CFM and MVTR) I am not sure. Many tents are considered waterproof at 2000HH and it’s not often that I am leaning down with a knee pressing on a puddle with my waterproof pants which is the only situation I can think of where a much higher HH might be necessary.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools