Topic

Partial Knee Replacement

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Partial Knee Replacement

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Buddy of mine just had the both partial knee replacements done in Nov and Dec.  Not sure of the rehab difference and ultimate results compared to a total knee, but it looks much faster.   He is not in the best CV shape and the inactivity time caused by the surgery has not helped.  This is a 6 day, 2000 ft vertical per day, 8-10 miles per day, 50% off trail hike at 10-12,000 ft., over some rugged terrain, in July.   He is a pretty tough and determined guy. I am concerned about a lot of things but from what i read, downhills, especially with a pack,  are the bugaboo for knee replacements.  He needs some overnights starting in May or June to be ready, in my opinion, and I am concerned there is not enough time from surgery to carrying a pack to ultimately being in shape.

Thoughts, experience, suggestions?   Thanks, Art

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I hiked in and out of Havasupai (10 miles each way, ~2k elevation) with a friend who got a total knee replacement 9 weeks earlier last February. He was going on 5 mile training hikes with 800′ of climbing on rocky terrain with me 5 weeks after the surgery. He did PT 3X/Week. He was extremely determined and a very strong hiker before the surgery.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I had 2 partial knee replacements 6 weeks apart and, after a lot of very serious PT and training hikes with a pack, did an easy 2 day backpacking trip 3 months later.  Three months after that I did a couple of overnights then moderately hard 3 day and 4 day trips in the High Sierra.  I’m pushing 70 so I’m not going to recover as quickly a someone younger.  I would say if he wasn’t in great shape before his operations, he needs to demonstrate he can handle the physical stress he’s going to put on his knees before he goes into the high mountains.  I’m not saying he shouldn’t go, but that he needs to demonstrate he can handle the demands of such trip on a few training hikes beforehand.  Best of luck to your friend.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Well, I find this encouraging to read, as my left knee has been giving me troubles this past year and I am wondering if down the road I will be headed for a knee replacement.  At least it sounds as though that will not necessarily mean an end to my backpacking days.  Thanks to all of you for weighing in.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools