Topic

Part of PCT closed after bear attack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Part of PCT closed after bear attack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

On Thursday, authorities indefinitely closed the Pacific Crest Trail through Vasquez Rocks county park in Southern California after a woman reported fighting off a bear with her pocket knife:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-hiker-bear-20180614-story.html

https://signalscv.com/2018/06/county-shuts-down-hiking-trail-after-woman-reports-bear-attack/

I’m sure there’s more to this story …

— Rex

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

> “The patron alleges she stabbed the bear with a pocket knife and was scratched on her wrist by the bear,” he said, noting the injury does not appear to be serious. … “We have no evidence so far,” she said.  “Not to say that it didn’t happen, we just have no evidence so far. We are carrying out our due diligence.”

Interesting phrasing.  Says a lot.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yes, the phrasing is interesting, as is the fact that they reopened the park.  So why not the PCT too?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

For some reason, I don’t believe if a bear wanted to attack, you could fight it off with a pocket knife.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools