Topic

Paria Canyon, Buckskin Gulch, Wire Pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Paria Canyon, Buckskin Gulch, Wire Pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

I snagged a 5 day permit for Paria Canyon, Buckskin Gulch, Wire Pass for early June.

I am looking at going Buckskin Gulch all the way down to Lees Ferry.

I was wondering if the shorter Wire Pass was a better starting place than Buckskin Gulch?

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Most start at Wire Pass. It pretty quickly slots up, where as the Buckskin entry has quite a bit of more open gulch/gully/canyon before it slots up.

And shorter is very good as best to make it through to the confluence with Paria for your first camp. There is only one safe place to camp part way through Buckskin and that involves a climb out that is class 3/4 which many people would not like… especially with a backpack.

If the forecast is for rain; don’t go into Buckskin at all… from either entry.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Go in Wire pass, it will be the narrowest of the whole trip and very cool and will give you more time to ooh and ahh over the middle parts of Buckskin.  Here is my trip report

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

Alex.    Fantastic trip report.  Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools