Topic

Pants for Winter Hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pants for Winter Hiking

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

I currently use some Columbia zip offs and long underwear in the winter. 15-35f where I am. I’m trying to find a pant that will give me good insulation standing around, but won’t make me overheat when hiking. The pants would be used from 50F and below. Just too hot to hike in long pants above that temperature.

Any suggestions?

Anyone have experience with these?

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I also wear the Columbia zip offs, but don’t typically wear long underwear beneath them. Between my mid calf length wool socks and tall gaiters, my legs generally stay warm while hiking… however, like you, they can get cold while standing around, whether that is for a break during the day, or at camp at night…. Of course at camp I can just throw my down pants on… But, like you I have been wondering about getting some soft shell pants for colder weather hiking… Those that you linked to look interesting, and I happen to be a fan of Montbell. I will look forward to what others say about this!

Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

A couple of years ago I was set for a Nov hike when a poplar vortex hit dropping the forecast temperature.

I normally hike in lightweight nylon ExOff insect shield pants or zip offs.  I bought a pair of EMS Pursuit soft shell pants for the hike and was very pleased with them.  EMS was the only local shop at the time so I could try them on to get the best fit.

The temperature ranged between teens to 40sF and I never felt cold or heated hiking or sitting in camp.  For reference I tend to run warm.

YMMV

Cliff

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I use the heavier all nylon “5.11” brand pants for winter hiking.  But I wash them in NikWax DWR first. These pants are tightly woven and fairly wind resistant so they work very well in snow when used with knee-high gaiters.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“I’m trying to find a pant that will give me good insulation standing around, but won’t make me overheat when hiking.”

I don’t think that’s going to happen.  For example, many of us will throw on a puffy jacket in camp or on breaks, but take it off before hitting the trail to avoid overheating.

“The pants would be used from 50F and below.”

The only time I wear insulated pants is for chairlift skiing.  I can’t imagine wearing them hiking or Nordic skiing, especially in temperatures over 32*F.  I think the best bet is to wear non insulated nylon pants and the appropriate weight thermal underwear for the conditions.  This has served me well to temps well below zero in NY and here in the PNW.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

I really like my REI Screeline pants.  Our weather is getting down into the 50’s and they have a good balance of warmth without too much heat.  I’ll have them out this winter to see how they do, I expect to wear just them down into the 20’s.

It is probably more wind resistance than insulation, they are thin material and really comfortable.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I really like the Lundhags Traverse pants. They are expensive but I have found them used on Ebay, usually from Hungary or Poland, for about 50 dollars including shipping.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

I like Railriders’ Bushwhacker Weatherpants (heavier nylon than my Columbias with double layer reinforcement in the seat, knees  and back ankle areas) and will use long johns under them in camp. I’m in SC so winter weather is usually 25+ degrees at its worst and I’m not usually out in that.

I’m wanting to try a pair of their versa tac pants because I like cargo pockets.

Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Thanks for the replies everyone! Going to have to research all of these! I have light and mid weight wool long underwear, but would be nice to have something warm enough to where I wouldn’t need those until below freezing.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

I haven’t found the zip offs to be too great for winter hiking…and I can’t stand thermal underwear while hiking, and it’s too tricky to take them on and off as needed…

What I’m planning to try this winter is microfleece lined running tights under running shorts for hiking. However, I’m still thinking about a soft shell option for sitting around camp. Ideally something I can throw on and off easily over my shoes. I’m not as worried about wind resistance as I think the tights will suffice. However, I am interested in a pair of pants that will trap my body heat, and provide water resistance. I haven’t identified the right item yet though…

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Locale: PNW

For cold weather hiking in the Winter, where any exposure to rain would be intermittent and not necessarily a constant downpour/shower but more intermittent in nature, I like softshell pants. Ones I’ve purchase usage starting when weather is around 50 and below are the Bergans of Norway Men’s Osatind pants, Mountain Equipment G2 Mountain Pant, Montane Super Terra Pants and (although I have yet to purchase them) the Norrona Flex 1 softshell pants too. Marmot made an interesting one a couple of years ago out of Schoeller fabric too.

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

LL Bean,  Knife Edge Pants,  item #291687,  men’s size large = 22oz,  $89.

These pants have a fuzzy inside surface so they don’t feel cold to my skin.  Pants have straight legs with a loose fit so there’s room for underwear if needed.  I use from around 25F up to around 50F here in Ohio.  Not a brand name I see mentioned often on this site.  Returns are easy.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/84976?SS=A&lvl=1&moe=INIT&num=48&subrnd=0&productId=1413036&LLB_NVP_CATEGORYIDLIST=84976&feat=qs&gnattr=-1&sort_field=Relevance

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

There is also wool pants like these.  https://woopwear.com/products/mens-ultimate-field-pant

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

For those conditions, softshell pants are the way to go with long johns of various warmth underneath. These are what my wife and I use. We haven’t tried dozens of models in each category, but enough to know what works well for us.

Mild Cool Conditions:
    -Patagonia Tribune Pants – stretchy wind-resistant hiking pants great for everything but very hot weather (the spandex content and wind resistance can make them too warm in very hot weather). About 11-12 oz.
    -Patagonia Thin Powerstretch Pants with high nylon content (forget model name) – about same weight as Tribune Pants, but a bit more more wind resistant)

Note light nylon wind pants like Patagonia Houdini Pants can add some breathable warmth and added wind resistance to the above when needed for only 3 oz.

40-60F: Cooler Conditions all these work well:
    -Patagonia Tribune Pants + lightweight merino or synthetic long johns or midweight merino or synthetic long johns (Capilene 2)
    -Patagonia Thin Powerstretch Pants with high nylon content (forget model name)
    -Ibex Guide Pants – about 16 oz. each, highly breathable and stretchy with enough wind resistance, though in wet conditions can soak up too much water, with nylon on outside and merino/synthetic mix against the skin

20-40F:
    -Arcteryx Gamma MX Pants – highly wind resistant and durable water-resistant nylon face and soft, thin fuzzy warm layer against the skin. Favorite relatively lightweight pants for cold weather. I think they weigh about 19 oz.
    -Ibex Guide Pants with long johns underneath
    -Craft Storm Tights – windproof front and breathable back with great stretch. Great for cross-country skiing and cold winter running and snowshoeing when you are really moving.
    -For cold mixed conditions and mountaineering where there can be a lot of wet from rain or melting snow/ice, waterproof but breathable stretch softshell pants can work well, such as the Mammut Castor Pant.

Below 20F:
    -All of the above from 20-40F with long johns underneath. The warmest long johns I have are fuzzy thick powerstretch.

For very cold snowshoeing we use Forty Below TR Light Energy Overboots, which add significant warmth. In general keeping your lower legs warm up to your knees adds a lot of warmth and comfort.

For standing around during rest breaks, I find throwing on a warm insulated jacket sufficient. For in camp, if you plan to spend a lot of time hanging out outside, you can wear down or synthetic puffy insulated pants over your pants, or leave those home and just get in your sleeping bag/quilt and you’re good.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

For my multi-day ski trips, I wear long johns, short (for the pockets mostly) and wind pants. Current wind pants are EPIC fabric, which has been really good for snow and wind. Pants (homemade) have zippers up the outside of the thigh from just below waist to about mid-thigh; this gives access to pockets and also ventilation. Thigh muscles put out a lot of heat. This arrangement means I can vary my warmth without ever having to take off the inner layer. Most days it’s longs, shorts, and shells; when it warms up I take off the shells, and on the warmest days (up into the 60’s on the snow in the spring, and I don’t want to go in just shorts because the sunscreen usage would be massive) I’m down to the longs alone. This has served me well from the high teens and up, and is lighter than any other combination I’ve tried. The soft shells I’ve tried are too warm half the time with longs under, and not warm enough without, and switching involves stripping all the way down.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Hi,

I don’t have too much experience in winter hiking. However I wonder why standard layering system won’t work. I mean:

Some long base layer (merino wool?)

Insulating (microfleece) pants

Wpb hardshell pants like marmont essential pants

Down pants.

For pants, all of them should easily be put on/off this means zips on bottom (calf?).

I personally don’t believe in zipoffs. Though I have two pairs and I’m not very pleased with them.

Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

I’m getting the conscientious that soft shell is the way to go, at least for what I want. 50F would be on the high end of temperatures. More likely to be 40F and below. I will make sure to post back if I find “The Pair”.

Edit:

Also, why does it seem like most of these style pants have hidden belt loops? Normally I’d like this, but thought I’d carry my larger knife on my belt and they don’t really allow me to…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah layering – merino or synthetic long pants under your current pants

I have some synthetic under pants I sometimes wear under my regular nylon pants if it’s really cold

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools