Topic

Pant Recommendations Please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pant Recommendations Please

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I’m looking for durable pants.  My Black Diamond Schoellers are 15 years old and starting to show signs of wear.

I need zippered pockets,  a 3rd front pocket,  and non-stretch fabric – or mechanical stretch with no elastic. Water and dirt shedding would be nice.

Suggestions appreciated. TIA.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Railriders Men’s Bushwacker Weatherpants.  mine are 8+ years old.  just a few pin holes and some Pine sap on them, but really tough.    I wear them all the time except in really hot weather.  They do very well in keeping cactus needles off too, not perfect for sure, but better than most.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

A couple years ago, I got a pair of Dead Bird Gamma LT pants through a warranty exchange.

They are light, comfortable, quite wind resistant, well articulated, and rather durable. Even though I initially thought I wouldn’t use them during the summer, I was surprised how often I would reach for them in lieu of other pants, especially due to their balance between form fittedness and durability. Unlike a lot of options out there, they aren’t baggy.

AND, if I were to require something even more durable, I’d check out the options over at Kuiu.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Railraiders  would be my recommendation as well

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Found better pants by going through the climbers’ pants sections of the larger BP stores.  It was EMS, but that has since gone to REI.  Found some pants made of soft shell material, very stretchy, light, and have both zipped and non-zipped pockets.  Think they are called Marmot ‘Rock Star,’ or something like that.

They got their first test leaving a mountain top cabin when an unexpected ice storm lasted most of the night.  The next day had to backpack down the icy mountain trail without foot traction, and loop back several miles over more even terrain to the trail head in the rain (It warmed up a bit at lower altitude when day came).  While they were not totally WP, was comfortable packing all day in the cold, and used the pants thereafter.  They also breathe well on hot days and pack up small in the pack.

So would suggest looking at pants used by mountain climbers.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Montane Terra pants. A truly great backpacking pant (though I only use them in the cooler months, they do have side zips at the thighs). Here’s a review at SectionHiker.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Duluth Trading co. makes excellent “Dry on theFly” nylon cargo pants in light and medium weights unseen fleece lined in medium weight nylon.

I’ve seen the Rail Riders nylon pants but the DT pants are just as good for less $$.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 on Dead Bird Gamma LT pants

Cheers!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^

OK. Gamma LT are ordered.

Thanks All.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^

Received and Returned –

I’m 5’9, 170#, with a 34″ waist in most pants.

A Gamma LT medium, with a 34″ waist, fits me like tights.  Nearly skin-tight from the calves up.  No thanks.

Rab Vectors are a more traditional fit and work for me.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

There are no pants. There just aren’t. Not if you are 5’3″, 150lbs and like real pockets. You can have gigantic pants that go up to your boobs and drag on the floor, but there won’t be usable pockets. Or you can have usable pockets and pants with legs so skinny you have to have a waist that sticks out an extra foot. Pants no longer exist. Only mutant pant-like objects in the pants department.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools