Topic

Palante V2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Palante V2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Locale: Southwest

Glad they went with a more durable material, but disappointed to see it’s 150d DCF.

Dyneema mesh front looks cool, I wonder how stretchy it is?

And yikes only two sizes? Its only 2 more SKU’s to add a third size. Not like they’re messing with multiple hipbelt sizes..

All those kids on Reddit are gonna eat it up though..

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

“disappointed to see it’s 150d DCF” – Why?

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Because I believe their are more weight/cost effective and functional fabrics out there.

I can own it as personal/judgemental but I am turned off from 150d DCF as a pack fabric. This is based on personal use, first hand testimonial from other users and testing in house.

DCF is a great selling point for a company. You can talk up all the amazing properties it holds, leverage the huge DSM marketing machine (their newest catchphrase is “believe the impossible”) and generally wow the public with the newfangled super fabric. Trouble is, at the end of the day you’re not going to see it holding up longer than 200 Denier Xpacs or robic nylons. So you’re just selling people more expensive stuff that doesn’t last longer. The potential for increased markup helps a companies bottom line, but end users are left paying more for no reason.

P.S. dang rocky woods sells that dyneema stretch mesh but it’s almost $40/yd

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Gotcha. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

David Wiese
    BPL Member

@dtothewiese

Good changes overall from the V1. As long as durability and craftsmanship are fine I think they will do well. Really like the shoulder strap adjustable pockets.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Looks pretty nice.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I saw this last night. Was uninspired to be honest.

I do like the detail of how they did the grab loop. Makes a lot of sense to me to do it that way at least on a light pack where the chance of pulling it through is low and you might rarely use it.

I like the look of the hook buckle used for the roll top. Anyone know where you can get something similar for MYOG? I’ve always liked those types of buckles but typically they tend to be completely overkill heavy duty aluminium.

I find it strange why they used the Dyneema stretch woven for the kangaroo pocket, yet their stretch bottom pocket is a nylon stretch mesh??? Wouldn’t it make far more sense to have them the other way around? Also that Dyneema fabric, assuming its the same one as Rockywoods, is quite heavy vs other available fabrics that breath better. Weird.

This pack does have nice lines though particularly at the base.

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

I was surprised by a lot of the changes, too.  In particular, the switch to DCF.  But there seemed to be a fair amount of chatter about the Xpac failing at the shoulder strap attachments. Hasn’t been an issue on my V1 yet.

My one issue with the V1 has been that the shoulder straps are mounted really close together at the top, which causes some rubbing on my neck.  I was told that the V2 addresses  this issue so I will be trying one.

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

I like the look of the hook buckle used for the roll top. Anyone know where you can get something similar for MYOG? I’ve always liked those types of buckles but typically they tend to be completely overkill heavy duty aluminium.

Looks like a buckle from Trimmers. Not aware of anyone selling singles, but Seek Outside used to sell 5 packs they called bachelor buckles?

But there seemed to be a fair amount of chatter about the Xpac failing at the shoulder strap attachments. Hasn’t been an issue on my V1 yet.

Unreinforced VX07 isn’t something that handles that area/stress well.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Seek Outside Bachelor Buckles, set of 4, aluminum, 8.5 grams each

https://seekoutside.com/bachelor-buckles-set-of-4/

— Rex

Lorenzo M
    BPL Member

@enzo

On my myog xpac tx07 pack I use dxg 210 bonded/sewn into the top ~3″ of the back panel. No sign of pulled threads on the strap anchor points yet.

Sam P
    BPL Member

@sam-i-am

Locale: North Carolina

I pre-ordered one. I think its gonna be a great ul pack

Sam P
    BPL Member

@sam-i-am

Locale: North Carolina

with hip belts. my plan is to cut them off then ill have two extra stacs pockets for gloves or trash or what I may need em for

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools