Topic

Pa'lante Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pa'lante Pack

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

i just ordered a KS ultralight KS 40 in the same VX07, but was really tempted by the Simple 40.

the KS 40 measures 15cm x 30cm x 75cm … I am a little concerned it might be too big. It seems pretty parallel size wise the the Simple 40 based on measurements. I have been volume crunching pack sizes and I think I am going nuts over 0.75 cm here and 0.40 cm there!

Also, I feel like there is really poor volume standardization across manufacturers so it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

On that subject, I really liked how Outdoor Gear Lab stuffed ping pong balls into the packs in their recent backpack comparison. It seems like a much better way to calculate volume than a simple L x W x H calculation.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I feel like there is really poor volume standardization across manufacturers so it has to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Indeed. There is an extended discussion of this in our series on internal frame packs:
    https://backpackinglight.com/lw_internal_frame_packs_part_1a/
    https://backpackinglight.com/lw_internal_frame_packs_part_1b/
    https://backpackinglight.com/lw_internal_frame_packs_part_1c/
    https://backpackinglight.com/lw_internal_frame_packs_part_2/

There IS a proper Standard for the measurement of pack volume, and it does involve filling the pack with small light balls. However, some American pack mfrs have decided to ignore this Standard and to make exaggerated claims. One of their tricks is to fill each compartment separately, really full, and to add them all up. But you cannot do this when you are using a pack to carry gear: when you fill the main body that limits how much you can get in side and top pockets for instance.
    The above articles mention some of the mfrs who use this trick – or deception.

Cheers

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The Simple Pack is available again. This time in just the larger size and only with the stretchy pockets. I could be wrong but I think it’s $10 cheaper at $240.

Are there any other changes?

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

You’re correct. I’m pretty sure that’s $10 cheaper. Wonder if limiting options is mostly a streamlining manufacturing decision.

I also wonder if the prototype Cuben version that Jupiter Hikes used is near production.

YouTube video

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Well … questions answered … site updated again and Cuben (1.43 oz sq/yad) Simple Pack is listed as “Coming Soon”

Has no price yet and is apparently a 35L capacity.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

Apologies if this is a thread hijack, but after a personal hiatus from backpacking, I was about to place an order for a Burn. Aside from being a bit prettier, is the regular Simple Pack better than a cuben Burn at the same price?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The Burn has a waistbelt and more lashing points for running shockcord. Also it’s got a hard mesh front pocket rather than a stretch front pocket

The Simple Pack has the bottom pocket.

Chad P
    BPL Member

@exup

Pretty sure I’m going to pick one of these up when the cuben comes out. Price is definitely much higher than in use to for similar packs but I guess it’ll be worth it in the long run. They have me sold on the bottom pocket! I do those on my edc style bags and am happy someone finally did it on a backpack.

I messaged Jupiter and he said on the X-PAC he has 3000 miles on it and no signs of wear. I’m sure the cuben would be a different story though.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Excited to see that Palante is going into production with a new pack available mid-August. Blog post here.

This photo was in their IG story yesterday. 

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools