Topic

Packlist: Gear lists for geeks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Packlist: Gear lists for geeks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

I’ve created a computer program that might be useful to some readers of BPL. There’s no shortage of ways to maintain a list of your gear, but I’ve found it extremely useful to use plain text files for this purpose (thank you to Adam White for this idea). This way, I can easily start out with my gear list from a previous trip, and tweak it for the next trip.

So, I created Packlist: Gear lists for geeks. You needn’t be a geek to use this, but it certainly doesn’t hurt!

The program is written in Ruby, so you’ll need to have Ruby installed to run it. Mac and Linux users should be taken care of already; Windows users will need to install Ruby.

The project is free and open source and on Github. There, you will also find instructions on using the program. Below is a sample report produced by Packlist. Here is the source file that produced this report.

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, you may submit them here or create an issue on Github. I hope some of you will find this useful, and I welcome your feedback.

Sample gear list

Elizabeth R
    BPL Member

@ghatandy

2 lb 40 L nylon pack

2 lb Eureka Solitaire

1.5 lb down mummy bag, 5*C

0.5 lb.Thermarest z lite

0.5 Thermarest ridge rest

0.5 lb butane stove

ClO2 water treatment

vapor barrier shirt & pants on order

vapor barrier socks & gloves

planning to celebrate wife’s birthday Dec 27 w 20 miles over 2 days 1 night,Bruce Trail, near Milton

fitness plan – hill sprints 2x wk, walk jog 2x wk, climbing gym 2x wk, long hike 20 lb pack Saturday, bicycle Sunday, 10 000 steps a day, 10 flights a day

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools