Topic

Packing water bottle Hyperlite Mountain Gear junction

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info Packing water bottle Hyperlite Mountain Gear junction

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff F
    BPL Member

@jhf040446

Ryan,

I just watched your video on packing the Hyperlite pack and it was very informative and am thinking about purchasing the Hyperlite pack.  One small question, on the video you packed the water bottle in the back pocket.  Can you reach the back pocket without taking off your pack or is there another way you cold store it so you could reach it with the pack on?  I have always carried my water bottle where I can get to it without taking off the pack, so that is the reason for the question.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Unless you perform in Cirque du Soleil, there is no way you are accessing a bottle in the back (aka ‘front’) pocket while wearing the pack. Just load up one or two of the side (aka ‘bottle’) pockets with water. I find HMG bottle pockets reasonably easy to access while underway, but people’s shoulder flexibility differs.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

+1 to what Philip said. Long arms and even a little flexibility help. Tall slim bottles promising extra intelligence, too. Other HMG owners have said no way can they reach the side cupholders.

Another option is shoulder-strap water bottle carriers offered in variety of shapes, sizes, and weights. Not for me. Can’t stand swinging a lot more weight around to put on a shoulder strap.

I’ve also decided that drinking water at rest stops kills two avian fauna with one cobble – when I need to rest, I take a drink, and vice versa. Water bottles in the big back/front pocket would work OK, but I like cupholders better.

— Rex

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I am never able to remove them from any side pockets of HMG packs let alone back pockets. Did try the Unbound 40 and you sure can remove it from the side pockets. I think the Porter packs with porter water bottle pocket add ons work great….you could add that water bottle pocket and angle it such that it can be easily removed.

I always like having bottle pockets on the shoulder straps – easy access to water and load distribution. Also, I use Steripen – so, many times, I can just scoop water and filter it without removing my pack.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools