Topic

Packing Light with 95 Pounds: 40 Days Unsupported in Far East Russia

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Packing Light with 95 Pounds: 40 Days Unsupported in Far East Russia

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I used to carry 70 lb in the mountains when I was young (at Uni). I needed help to stand up, but then I was OK. Today, at 74, I definitely do NOT want to carry that much!

But the long length of the trip – too right. We (Sue & I) have done many 2-month trips on the tracks in Europe, and one 3-month trip. Coming home is always a bit of a psychological let-down.
    https://backpackinglight.com/caffins_4_month_gear_list/
    https://backpackinglight.com/caffin_gear_list_revisited/

However, in Europe we had the chance to buy food as we went. Fresh French bread and cheese – oh yeah! Even, sometimes, red wine …

Cheers

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“I used to carry 70 lb in the mountains when I was young (at Uni). I needed help to stand up, but then I was OK. Today, at 74, I definitely do NOT want to carry that much!”

+1

Which all goes to show why G.B Shaw once commented that “youth is wasted on the young”.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Fantastic trip and photos.  Alaska-like, but different.

Photos of the Cilo 75 look painful.  Drastic sag, neither the belt complex nor the frame are up to the task.

I’ve done 2 consecutive days of 18 miles (12 loaded) carrying ~120+ pounds (solo 12 mile elk packout, ferrying everything in 2 loads).  Physically I was crushed at the end of that but had no blisters, bruising, chafing or anything from boots or pack or clothing.  This suggests that one could train to sustain that effort for longer.

The various Arctic 1000 reports (esp Roman’s postmortem) tell a lot about how big loads influence performance over multiple weeks.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

“I used to carry 70 lb in the mountains when I was young (at Uni). I needed help to stand up, but then I was OK. Today, at 74, I definitely do NOT want to carry that much!”

I think there’s a law of nature that applies here:

Age (in years) + Weight Carried (in pounds) = Constant.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Age (in years) + Weight Carried (in pounds) = Constant.

How utterly ridiculous.
    Does back of envelope sums for self …
    Oh . . . .

Cheers

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

Absolutely incredible trip.  I am insanely jealous.

David Hosmer
    BPL Member

@novohoz

A wile back I got to live in Novosibirsk and Krasnoyarsk. I would love to take a three month trip in that neck of the woods!

Brad H
    BPL Member

@manofthehouse

Seeking retirees (or aspiring retirees) for long adventures? I don’t retire till 2024, but am interested in longer trips. I get 5 weeks leave per year and may be interested in a 1-2 week adventure if you are looking for a similarly-aged partner.

Christian K
    BPL Member

@luftspur

Dear Tully

I would love to read the full story of this inspiring trip. „www.summerinchukotka.com“ seems to not work anymore. Is there any other chance to read your story and see the pictures?

Best from Austria, Christian

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools