Topic

Packet of ghee, 130 calories

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Packet of ghee, 130 calories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

A coworker gave me this for my coffee. I haven’t tried it yet, not sure my coffee will be the recipient. Thinking toast instead, just to try it. Maybe an option for pasta? Or potatoes, or just in a warm tortilla.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Sorry, I forgot the critical info -16 grams for the packet. Just butter and salt, nothing else.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Put it in all the things. I’m a fan of butter and butter related products.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Just don’t expect a ‘normal’ butter taste or you’ll be disappointed.

Jarred O
    Spectator

@set7-2

I’d be confused on how ghee tastes different than butter. Having worked in numerous kitchen’s ghee (clarified butter) is always preferred to melted butter if given the choice because it smokes less and tastes cleaner without the salts and other aqueous solids.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Just by saying it tastes ‘cleaner’ means it tastes different. And, at least to me, it does. Didn’t say it tasted worse, didn’t say it tasted better. Just saying it tastes different than what most people might think of normal store-bought butter tastes like.

Jarred O
    Spectator

@set7-2

That’s a fair argument Doug. I couldn’t disaghee with it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

:-)

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I’ve used ghee for backpacking for many years.  For longer trips i take a big tub plastic tub of it and put a heaping spoonful in every dinner. I have an indian mother in law to make it for me.  clarified butter works just as well, which you can sometimes get at restaurant supply shops.  but i use these packets for short one or two night trips.

it does make everything taste better and adds a calorie boost to boot.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Links to Tin Star Ghee, complete with many nutritional claims I don’t believe:

https://www.tinstarfoods.com

Packets on Amazon

I might buy some because I like butter!

— Rex

Jarred O
    Spectator

@set7-2

I’d bring clarified butter into the backcountry if I had a way to make it accessible without bringing more trash out with me. It could be stored in the smaller (2,4,8,16 oz) Nalgenes but then one would be left with trying to get it it out of the container with a stick in cooler weather as a spoon won’t fit through the opening.

Warmer weather it would be great though (it being saturated and thus a fat instead of an oil) as you could pour it out in temps above ~70.

I’d be interested, chemically, why it has a lower energy density than olive oil though (~170 kCal per oz). If the packet is an ounce it should be roughly equivalent variable to molecular density.

Maybe I could consolidate and use the same stick I use to scrape out my ghee to also scrape out my cat hole.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I’m with Doug ,,, ghee does not taste like butter (to moi) … but Butter Buds help that a lot.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

With secure storage, regular butter can keep for over a week even in the mid-summer Oregon PCT swelter.

Source: hiked a few days with a hiker trail-named “Butters” on the PCT since he always had a stick deep in his pack. Heard he was the Johnny Appleseed of butter, giving out the extra sticks after shopping the grocery.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

While made from butter, ghee tastes quite different – no one who uses both would confuse one with the other. Ghee is great for cooking with or for frying as it has a high smoke point. They each have their own place.

Ghee is made from butter by heating it to boil away almost all of the moisture; while still hot the liquid ghee is run through a filter to remove most of the milk solids originally in the butter.

The big advantage of ghee is that it is shelf stable at room temperature for months or even longer. It is this feature that was most useful as a cooking medium for cultures that did not use lard or tallow in cooking, especially since refrigeration did not exist. So called “vegetable oils” (really seed oils) came along much later.

It is amazing how long humans have sought out and tried to come up with foods that would be still be edible for several weeks “on the road”. A lot of backpacking food is nothing new – people traveling long distances in warm weather have eaten “backpacking food”. Modern techniques of dehydration and vacuum packing have certainly made things much easier. These techniques were refined by the snack foods industries – think potato chips and manner of bagged chips etc

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I was about to buy some a week or two ago but Amazon made it unavailable

Item Under Review

This item is currently unavailable because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it’s described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We’re working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

It’s odd it got flagged when it doesn’t have any negative reviews.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools