Topic

Packable water hauler

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packable water hauler

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Terry W
    Spectator

@dufus54

Looking for a lightweight bag to haul water back to camp and the occasional resupply when on town…any experience/suggestions?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Platypus?

I’ve seen silnylon buckets as well if that’s more what you’re looking for.

Terry W
    Spectator

@dufus54

Ah…no, should’ve elaborated…small pack to carry water bottles, bladder, and gravity rig to the source and back to camp… either this or dump my pack… often 6+ liters: dinner, breakfast, and carry for the next day (wife and I)…

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

I believe I would use about 3 or 4 of the 2 liter platypus containers Brad  described, and a Sea 2 Summit ultrasil dry bag for containment…. unless you really want to pack a small daypack of some sort.

Where are you hiking? The Sahara?

Terry W
    Spectator

@dufus54

Thanks for comments all…nope, east coast…AT and currently Shenandoah…but I process water for 2 and we go through a lot…seems most sources are far and much down from camp…2 trips last night and one this morning got me thinking

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

maybe you should take a look at these kind of packs

they come in different sizes, 5 to 20 L or so. I have one that is probably around 10L, it came from Japan but have no idea what the brand is. I only used it as a day pack when sort of base camping. Google “ultracompact backpack”

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Check your local co-op grocery store. They have lots of different reusable lightweight bags, usually sling style, that can hold a lot of weight like water and would work for a town bag too. Hippies have been using reusable grocery bags forever, so there’s usually a lot of variety.

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

What, your wife is not a Packable water hauler?

I bet she could carry quite a bit!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Yeah, a reusable grocery bag or maybe something like the Rik sack. Oh bummer, they don’t seem to make those anymore. Also, Rik is very sick, so I hear.

Terry W
    Spectator

@dufus54

Thanks all… likely just stick to schlepping it…don’t want to add more gear/complexity to the mix..just continue to bag dump

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools