Topic

Packable mid layer for 10 and 12 year old.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Packable mid layer for 10 and 12 year old.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Patrick P
    Spectator

@obiecamper

Can you guys reccomend a package mid layer for my 10 and 12 year old. I’m trying not to get them fleece and attempting to keep their pack weight down.

Patrick P
    Spectator

@obiecamper

Typo…packable.

Patrick P
    Spectator

@obiecamper

Crickets…..

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Perhaps a little more information would be helpful.  What part of the country/world will you be camping in?  What sorts of temperatures will you be encountering?  Is the climate relatively dry like the Rockies, or is it more humid?  What do they already own that might be used?

When we were backpacking and camping with the kids in the Rockies, they did fine with fleece jackets and a good waterproof/breathable outer layer on top.  You specifically say you don’t want fleece – it is heavier and less packable for sure.  Patagonia, REI, North Face, most of the big retailers offer kids synthetic packable products, and there is always down if you want to go that route.  Don’t know how big your guys are, but if they are “tweeners” sometimes the options get opened up for clearance etc of they can wear womens XS or S sizes.

Patrick P
    Spectator

@obiecamper

We are hiking the Tetons and Glacier National park in late June. 3 weeks. Over night lows should be in the 40s. Not sure about humidity. They already have Northface fleece and shells. I was hoping to replace the fleece with a down packable puffy. Will keep looking.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Hi Patrick

I could recommend Enlightened Equipment Torrid Insulated Jacket.  It is made with APEX synthetic insulation so less worrisome about kids getting wet and therefore cold. Personally I don’t use down anything in my kit but I don’t wish to proselytize my choices. My men’s size large Torrid with hood weighs 8oz and packs into a 6”x10” stuff sack. The only thing with EE being a cottage manufacturer is delivery might cut it close with your departure date, if you decide you like the idea you can always contact them and inquire, they are very responsive and friendly to communicate with.

good luck! sounds like an amazing trip you and your kids won’t soon forget!

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Another option that we discovered when visiting Peru is an alpaca (or cashmere?) sweater.  You can sometimes find these at thrift stores. and they are very light and warm.  And if they are nice enough, he can wear them “on the street” as well….

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Patrick, your kids should be fine with down on those hikes, particularly if they have good waterproof-breathable shells.  Patagonia’s Down Sweaters are great for kids as well as adults, are pretty light and packable, and of course you get Patagonia’s warranty.  Sometimes these can be found on sale.  Sounds like a great trip!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools