Topic

Packable microfleece or similar pants for sleeping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packable microfleece or similar pants for sleeping

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Timothy H
    Spectator

@timh-2

Maybe someone can recommend pants for camp and under the quilt in cold-ish conditions – say down into the 30’s in the pre-dawn hours.

I bikepack – the pants will be packed and carried while on the bike during the day so they need to be packable. I’m not interested in tights because I wear close fitting cycling shorts and leg warmers all day on the bike.

I have micro-fleece pants from Taiga but traditional fleece is bulky. There is only so much room in a bikepacking bag.

I’ve also been interested in Patagonia R1 pants. These are made from Polartec Powergrid and should be plenty warm for under the quilt. Anyone know how packable these are?

Are down pants something I should consider? What else is out there?

-Tim-

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Hey timothy

Often into the 30s with a 40 degree quilt I wear Patagonia Lightweight capilene long underwear with a pair of wind pants over them (enlightened equipment copperfield wind pants) total weight for both is about 6oz and SUPER packable

if you’re looking for something warmer the R1 pants look good,  I dont own them. I wear the hoody version only in the coldest temps. They (pants) do weigh 12 oz and the hoody isn’t quite as packable as say the capilene thermal weight hoody.  In colder temps I pack the Patagonia nano-air Light pants for boosting quilt warmth.

other  options to consider-

enlightened equipment Torrid Apex pants (5.6 oz) warm, insulated, packable

Patagonia Capilene thermal weight bottoms- 6-7 oz –

there may be some other lighter weight traditional fleece-like options but I don’t know I don’t wear fleece really…

good luck finding something that works for you!

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Not a direct answer to your question, but this recent thread discussed ultralight thin fleece upper layers and may give you ideas on brands/products to look into for pants:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/lightest-mid-layer-fleece/

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Check out KUIU’s Peleton baselayers.  My top and bottom in XXL each weigh around 5 oz.

Timothy H
    Spectator

@timh-2

Thanks everyone. This gives me some options and I should be able to find something.

Hoping to snag and end of season discount, maybe.

-Tim-

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

You might consider puffy pants. The lightest (most packable) pants I know of are the Montbell Superior Down Pants (https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301216&gen_cd=1). If those are too bulky (or too expensive) I would just go with long underwear. One advantage of the pants, though, is that you can easily put them over your bike shorts. You can probably do that with long underwear, but only if you get a much larger size.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I was going to suggest UL puffy pants too My own favourites are no longer available and the Patagonia PuffBall/DAS pants may have been too warm for your needs anyway but the NanoPuff pants are still available and they also work well, having much lighter insulation and no long side zips they also pack down very small

https://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-nano-puff-pant-mens?CMP_SKU=PAT00M7&MER=0406&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_source=Affiliate&mr:trackingCode=1F82BDA1-D7A6-E411-9BFE-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&avad=397_e15dc3dd5&PubID=381&PubName=www.trailspace.com

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Almost forgot

The budget option is a set of surplus M-65 trouser liners for around $5- plus postage. They will pack down with effort and with wind pants good to well below freezing with the right underwear

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools