Topic

Packable backpack for 2 to 3 day mountain treks from base

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packable backpack for 2 to 3 day mountain treks from base

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Wayne
    BPL Member

@lewton

Hi.
    I’m on the lookout for a PACKABLE/FOLDABLE lightweight 30 to 35 L capacity backpack that I can pack as very small as possible inside my main 80 litre backpack, when I’m not using it for 2 to 3 day overnight mountain hikes in northern Norway. A return visit. Last time, I had to always lug around my full gear and that was useless for mountain trails.
    I say 30 to 35 L, but if anyone thinks that’s overkill, please say. I’m purposely overestimating size needed, I think.
    The overnight hikes will involve taking around 7 to 9 KG of gear (solo tunnel tent at 1Kg, sleeping pad at 300g, bivy bag, camera kit at 3Kg, some clothing plus food etc.).
    Does anyone have any recommendations on suitable backpacks please?
    *They need to fold to as small a size as possible to take up little room in my main pack and be light (sub-Kg or much less).
    Thanks

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

check out the Zpacks Nero 303g  38l. I have used it as a 3 season pack for years and love it.

Wayne
    BPL Member

@lewton

Thanks Tom. Does it pack down small as well? I cant look at the moment as it’s 4:30 a.m. here and I’m on my phone. Ha!! :)

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

rolled up its 10cm diameter by 20cm long. folding or flat packing it takes up the room of a hard shell jacket.

Wayne
    BPL Member

@lewton

Excellent. Thanks.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Consider any frameless pack of the right size and don’t worry about it being “packable” aka “self stowing”. Packing it flat works better than creating another lump to deal with.

There are packable versions in smaller sizes like the Gossamer Gear Vagabond Packable and the Mystery Ranch In and Out.

G4Free backpack is rated at 40 liters and packs small. It is very inexpensive. $21 on Amazon Prime

The Gossamer Gear G4 is probably the best choice for what you are trying to accomplish. One of the older original G4 packs with stuffable shoulder straps and waist belt would be very interesting.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I forgot the Eddie Bauer Stowable 30

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools