Topic

Pack repair help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack repair help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

So, I was a little rough on my Terra Nova Ultra 20 cuben pack on my last lil day trip. I ended up carrying a few extra things for a friend and I kinda over loaded the pack, and I was sort of jogging the way out, and the shock and jostling began to separate the sewn seams near the top of the back panel (shoulder area)

This was a really hard to find, early cuben fiber pack, that’s since been discontinued, and as such the production methods weren’t as refined at this time and the seams were sewn only. A mistake that more recent cuben pack makers just know better than to do now.

It’s very very minimally torn and I believe can be easily fixed. But I’m looking for advice.
    I want to now go along every seam of the pack and reinforce these areas.

My set up with this pack is as follows
    Pack: Terra Nova Ultra 20 (4.9 oz)
    Frame: Gossamer Gear/Kylmit Airbeam Pack Frame (small) (the smallest and lightest air frame that has even been made to my knowledge, It’s something like 2.5 oz if I recall)
    Liner: Sea to Summit UL Cordura Dry Sack (20L) (same capacity as pack, it’s like 2oz or less)
    Cover: Sea to Summit UL Pack Cover (XXS)  (actually had to import this from japan) (43 g)

The liner and the cover kinda just protect the pack from abrasion inside and out, as well as secure the upmost waterproofing possible, as the lid of this pack is kinda not the best design

So as you can see this pack is really light and surprisingly durable except for the seam construction

I’d really like to repair the damaged seam and reinforce the others, as I have put a lot of time and money into tracking down all of these obscure components that are discontinued and had to be imported, except for your standard StS drysack, every other peace was hard to find and had to be imported.

The pack was
    $168 but I talked him down to 128 (it was brand new)
    I paid $20 for the dry sack
    The pack cover was 35 bucks all together cause I had to ship it from Japan to get the XXS size (available in the UK too, but would have cost the same due to shipping fees)
    The frame sheet ended up costing me a total of around 75 American to get it to my door (conversion rates + shipping, but it is rare to find this and especially the Small size)

So I have an approx. 258 dollars total in this whole setup. and I LOVE THIS PACK
    it is extremely light yet sturdy. I just need help with figuring out how to improve the now obsolete seam construction

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

A photo would help.

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Okay I will add some. but until then. Id like to just clear up what I need.

I need recommendation on which tape to use and how to apply it. The pack has sewn only seams, I want to tape over top of them the make them less prone to separate

it’s not just about this repair. I kinda want to go over every seam with tape and make them less prone to tear in the future…

What techniques exist for that? Special tape and adhesives??

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools