Topic

Pack help: Hanchor Marl or other

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack help: Hanchor Marl or other

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

So I went from having too many packs to only having one right now. A Seek Outside 4800. It’s great for heavy load hauling and high volumes, and it cinches up tight enough that I can use it as a small volume pack. It is still tall and heavy though relative to a lot of the ultralight packs out there. So I’ve been looking at getting a 40 liter pack. I’m picky about gear and have mostly been looking for XPAC bags with well thought out frames and hipbelts. The main contenders were the Durston Drop 40 the SWD packs and the Hanchor Marl. The Marl “tracks” and hipbelt looks a bit more functional than the other two packs and I like the daisy chains found on the Marl (and also the Durston Pack). I love everything about the Marl and was all set to pull the trigger. The only issue is I have a 21″ torso which would put me at an XL frame. The XL frame is actually 27″ which makes it the same size as my SO pack essentially. Therefore I’m saving some weight but not getting many other benefits of a smaller pack. I couldn’t make it work as a carry on bag. It won’t sit any smaller on me than the cinched tight SO for bushwhacking. So I am in a holding pattern right now. Does anyone have experience with the XL Marls and perhaps photos of it rolled down tight? Does anyone have suggestions of other packs to consider? Thanks for any help.

Arek
    BPL Member

@ami

Hi Zack,

take a look at Dun’s blog, esp. the discussion thread.

https://intocascadia.com/2017/05/06/review-hanchor-marl-42l-pack/

Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

Thanks Arek! I’ve read this review (I believe he has a L frame and has a 19″ torso or so). Dan gives very thorough reviews that I greatly appreciate

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I have a L Marl for my 19″ torso.  Great pack! I relied a lot on Dan’s review and exchanged email with him. He’s a fan of that pack and clearly considered it in designing his drop pack.

I previously had a SO Divide, but sold it because it was too much pack for my trips.  Even when I was gearing up for an 11 day Philmont trek I wanted a lighter and smaller pack, hence the Marl.  I also like XPAC.

I haven’t tried an SWD.  I have tried packs in the 40L-ish size like the Ohm 2.0 and HMG Windrider 2400.  Both hold less and weigh less than the Marl, which is good when you need less.  Carry wise I would say Ohm < Windrider < Marl < Divide.  The newer HMG packs are worth a look, even without xpac.  I wish I had the larger hip pockets and tougher side pockets, but it has to fit well.  I think the other packs with load lifters are more adaptable to different people.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I have a large Hanchor MARL, version 2.0, for my ~19 1/4″ torso. Fits and feels great. The pack is relatively narrow, hugs my back, and keeps the weight close so it does feel nimble. The roll top does compress into a nice and tidy form when cinched down. However, it feels like a 50 liter pack, not 40.

If you’re really looking for a smaller pack it seems like the Durston would be a better fit. An Exped Lightning 45 is worth a look. Or, maybe a Cilo Gear 30:30 (w/ framesheet).

Edit: No experience with it, but a 50 liter Katabatic Gear Onni deserves consideration too.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

What about the upcoming Seek Outside Flight?

Arek
    BPL Member

@ami

Marl XL  fits well against my 20” inches torso.  Haven’t used it much yet. Below is the pic of Marl next to my old Deuter trans apline 30 (both packs are empty). Hope this helps.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I just saw a YouTube video by JK is Hiking with an xpac ULA Ohm 2.9. https://youtu.be/w7EcXHmQdTU  .  It may not carry as much as a Marl with the dual vertical and horizontal stay, but it’s a great pack.  I really like ULA’s hip belt.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools