Topic

Ozark Highlands Trail thru-hike – shuttle options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ozark Highlands Trail thru-hike – shuttle options

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@docwats

Locale: MidWest

I’m planning to thru-hike the OHT in December of this year (I’m a planner so starting early).  The toughest part of planning so far is figuring out how to get from Woolum (where I plan to park) to Ft Lake Smith where I’ll start.  All of the shuttle services that I’m seen so shuttle sections of the OHT and not the entire length.  Has anyone here found anyone who will take them from Woolum to Ft Lake Smith or has pieced together a shuttle strategy for a thru-hike?  Thanks for the help.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Some long distance trails may require using two shuttles on separate days. For the OHT, I would consider getting a shuttle from Woolum to Ozone (or as far west as can go), camp somewhere, and then a second shuttle from Ozone to Lake Fort Smith start. You could even incorporate a resupply at Ozone post office if shuttled there (dropping off food instead of mailing it).

Let us know what you decide. I am considering this thru-hike some time this year.

https://ozarkhighlandstrail.com/faqs/are-there-any-shuttle-services/

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Did you call and ask a few places if they would do the full trail? I scheduled a shuttle this past Dec with Ron Ferguson (just for a section). He seemed like a good guy and is pretty centrally located. Might be worth calling and asking.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The Ozark Highlands Trail OHT facebook group is good.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@docwats

Locale: MidWest

Thanks for the suggestions.  I emailed Ron and included my phone number… he called me 10 minutes after I sent the email!  What a nice guy!  He said that he actually prefers to shuttle thru-hikers because it gives him more time to get acquainted.  I’ll touch base with him a few months out from my start but it sounds like I’m going to be set.  Thanks again for the help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools