Topic

Overnighter in the Northeast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Overnighter in the Northeast

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Christopher S
    BPL Member

@haggent

Hi all,

I know it’s only September, but I wanted to see if anyone had any good 1-2 night backpacking trip ideas for winter in the Northeast? I want to avoid 4000 footers because I promised my wife I’ll hike them with her (but she avoids the cold like poison). I don’t want anything to strenuous for my 50lb Golden doodle or something that will put off a beginner friend of mine. How are some of the RMC cabins/AMC huts in the winter (I’ve never stayed at any)?

Ideas/opinions much appreciated.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

You might investigate the Taconic “Alps” ;)  eastern NY, western Ct and SW Mass tri-state area. Lower elevations and easy to back out if the weather gets dicey. Also has some stretches above “treeline” Nice sweeping views. Plus the AT goes through this area. It’s a good bet for winter and actually really good fun. I’ve done a lot of day hikes in this area while visiting the in-laws for Christmas and didn’t have any difficult conditions.

Not sure about the camping but there’s bound to be some. The folks on the AT are camping somewhere. A note of caution we did see a cabin near the summit of Bear Mt  or it might have been Brace Mt. It was REALLY rough looking. I’d check carefully for reports on the campsites and any trail system cabins. Get up to date info and check for reviews.

This thread currently on page 2 is the same general area: Harriman State Park

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools