Topic

Overnight Winter Backpacking Trip thru Harriman State Park With a Beginner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Overnight Winter Backpacking Trip thru Harriman State Park With a Beginner

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

https://youtu.be/2XXUNOxSDCo

My Friend James wanted to join us on an overnight trip for his first time ever backpacking and overnight camping.  There was snow and ice packed trails and off trail the snow was easily a foot deep. Our plan was to hike about 10 or 11 miles for day 1 and about 4 miles out day 2. Deep down inside, I knew this would most likely not be possible for a first timer, especially in these conditions.  He borrowed all the gear needed from me, everything except his clothes, so I knew in that aspect he would be fine. I did recommend he take the tent and set it up once or twice before we out there, but he insisted that he is an engineer.. and he also watched you tube videos about it.. so not a problem.  I was concerned.. because I KNEW.. it would be on me to set up the tent for him.. and I warned him.. after hiking all day.. its a different ball game when you are exhausted and beat down and day light is fading.. but he insisted.. no problem.  I knew!!!

Anyway, we changed plans during the hike, took a small short cut on an unmaintained winter road to save some time and cut some mileage because I could see and feel him struggling.. we also decided that he would not make the entire planned hike and found a place to make camp at approximately 1:30pm.. about 7 miles in.  Of course, he had NO clue what to do with the tent when he unpacked it (Nemo Hornet 1P). On top of a foot of snow and ice.. boulders and small shrubs.. and he could not move another foot.. he was done!  It was on me.. which I already knew. So I struggled to get his tent pitched ( wish I brought my MSR hammer this time). As soon as it was pitched.. he layed in the Hilton Hotel,  as he said it..  and fell aslepp within 5 minutes. I continued to struggle to find my spot to sleep.. missed my hammock so badly here!!! All the trees.. boulders,  snow,  ice and small shrubs.. a hammock paradise!! After much cussing and puffing, i found a spot to lay my bivy and decided to pitch my Gatewood Cape since it was going to be in the hi teens and slightly windy thru the rest of the day and thru the night.

I managed to get a nice fire going and it definitely set the night perfectly for both of us. We both slept warm and cozy all night.

The other guys we started hiking with, Bob and Mike were ahead of us and they made it to the planned area for the night.  I was able to communicate with them so they knew we were not making it there and knew we were ok for the night.  They actually hiked into us the next morning so we could all hike out together that last mile!! Kuddos Bob and Mike.. very cool if you guys!!! My friend James was highly impressed and he had a great time and I think he had caught the bug now. Claims he will be back and already looking into his own gear and another trip!! In large part to meeting new people (Bob and Mike) and seeing how they hiked into us in the morning to meet up and hike out together. All in all it was a great trip.. check-out the trip video if you have 14 minutes to spare…

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

a few shots from trip

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Nice Gatewood. I am surprised your buddy made it 7 miles in those conditions, being his first time. What elevation gain? Kudos to you for expecting correctly that he would need help and still doing it and being in good spirits. More people like that needed in the world :)

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thanks. Not much elevation gain. It is Harriman.. highest peaks probably at 1100 or 1200.. but usually lots of ups and downs.. lots of rocks and roots.. though this time most were burried under about 6 or 7 inches of packed snow and ice on trail.. and roughly a foot or so off trail.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

He just looks a little out of shape. Good for him for giving it a go and you for helping him!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@karen.. yes he is a lot out of shape but trying to get in better shape.  A work in progress and hopefully he gets to where he wants to be!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I always enjoy your videos – thanks for posting.  Bob is great with anyone who doesn’t pretend to know something that they don’t, so I’m not at all surprised your friend liked him.  And if Mike is the Mike M from Long Island, then I did the LHT trail with him too.  We nicknamed him “Extra” because he had a gallon ziplock full of “extras” from previous trips.  Any time we mentioned anything he pulled it out and offered it:  “Here – I have an extra”.  It was pretty funny.

I have to agree – a hammock would have been a better choice for your trip (I’m sure Bob & Mike were in their hammocks).  Before I moved up in the world, I used my Gatewood.  I know about the last thing you would have wanted to do would be to anchor another guyline, but I like using the pullout above my head like this:

It’s especially nice if it’s windy because it keeps the Cape from hitting you in the face while you sleep.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@ Kevin.. thanks man!! Appreciate the kind words. Yes it was also Mike M from Long Island.. great guy indeed.  Yes I missed my hammock sincerely.. but I actually did sleep like a king once it was pitched and I lay down. The pullout on side would indeed give extra head room.. but being in my bivy.. it really did not matter much all. I have to say, I enjoyed the room under the cape and sleeping on the ground, in the snow… laying there in the morning.. with snow flurries  fluttering all around.. looking around me in all directions at nature… it hit a warm spot in me.  I did sleep like a King and I was thoroughly impressed when all was said and done. For sure,  im not going to lie.. while pitching his tent, then my Cape.. I was so upset.. looking around me and not having my hammock.. that it actually started to interfere with my mindset of making camp. Our intended destination where I wanted to camp for the night, there was a nice semi open clearing and that is why I brought my bivy.. to lay out there in some openness..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools