Topic

Overnight on the Colorado Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Overnight on the Colorado Trail

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

We are in the midst of some warm weather here in SW Colorado, day’s in the mid to upper 40’s, nights hovering just below freezing. On a whim, I put together a quick overnight kit with the intention of a low milage overnighter. I got the chance to use some new equipment: Seek Outside Divide and an MLD balaclava. I live about 5 miles from the southern terminus of the Colorado Trail and after a hitch to the trailhead, I was on my way.

IMG_0520

The walk up to the trailhead

IMG_0522

I got to the trailhead about 4pm partially due to my indecision about going due to the late hour, and partially due to no one wanting to pick up a dude with a giant backpack with snowshoes strapped to the back.

IMG_0539

The snow was not in the best condition – it’s been a week or so since we got snowed on last and consequently snowshoes were more of a burden. Microspikes and following in others footprints worked best.

IMG_0542

Destination in sight.

IMG_0544

I made it to Gudy’s Rest (~4miles) just as the sun was going down and called it a night. The weather called for no precipitation so I just through down a bivy and started dinner.

IMG_0547

A small amount of graupel fell about 3am and continued for about an 45 minutes. I started worrying after about 20 minutes and rather foolishly decided to drape my tarp over me and wait it out. Thankfully it let up.

IMG_0551

I was rewarded with this sunrise. Made it back to the house before noon for a much needed breakfast and coffee.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Great trip!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools