Topic

Overnight Hike Ideas Near Shaver

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Overnight Hike Ideas Near Shaver

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Locale: CA Central Valley

I am looking for some ideas for an introductory hike for my daughter. I’d want something preferable shorter than 4 miles round trip with little elevation gain that has access to camp near water. I mentioned around shaver but just looking for a relatively short drive out of Fresno, within 2 hours.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, thanks.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I will suggest Dinkey Lakes as the first place to start.  Cliff Lake, and then explore from there.  Easy hiking, lots of lakes.

You could also look at the lakes above Kaiser Pass–there are a few of them–but that’s more climbing, as I recall.

Water always works with kids…

Keith T
    BPL Member

@keith-t

Locale: Western Central Sierra

As a Fresno-based backpacker, I strongly second Paul Wagner’s suggestion for Dinkey Lakes. First Dinkey is great, but I like Second Dinkey even more if your daughter can do the distance. My recollection is that Swede and Mystery Lakes tend to be pretty buggy. P.S. Tom Harrison has a great map of the Dinkey Lakes Area.

My runner up recommendation is Twin Lakes in Kaiser Wilderness, or George if she can make it.

My third recommendation is Weaver Lake in the Jennie Lakes Wilderness. A fun, short hike.

Paul, are you thinking of Graveyard Lakes? I’ve never been but I hear great things and plan to go one day.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Hi Keith

We did Graveyard Lakes a couple of years ago–literally just as the Camp Fire was starting. The evacuation from Thomas Edison a few days later was quite memorable–but that’s a long hike for little kids, 8-9 miles to the first lake.  I was thinking of the lakes in the Kaiser Wilderness, as you suggested above.

Keith T
    BPL Member

@keith-t

Locale: Western Central Sierra

Paul, the evacuation sounds like an adventure. I won’t ask you to type out the tale, but consider me envious of your friends who have gotten to hear that story.

Is Graveyard Lakes worth the travel effort? How is the fishing?

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Locale: CA Central Valley

Hi All, thanks for the suggestions.

Dinkey was my first option as well, but that drive up to the trailhead is pretty bad — at least it was the last time I went. We will be in a sedan too so not sure that would be best. I know you can also access from Courtright but that adds some more elevation that I am not sure she is ready for and/or I want to make it as fun as possible for her first overnight trip.

I’ve done Upper and Lower Twin Falls a few times too but like you mentioned I was hesitating a bit about the length and elevation and climb but I just took a look in Caltopo and its about 3.5 miles with a bit over 900ft of gain which would make a good challenge but should be doable.

I think in a perfect situation I’d like something maybe a bit shorter with less gain and a tad closer but then that doesn’t allow the solidarity as well. I’ve heard of others hiking down to the beach in certain areas of shaver and staying that night but I wasn’t sure if that was technically ‘allowed’.

Any thoughts on the above or additional suggestions? Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools