Topic

Outdoor stores in NYC

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Outdoor stores in NYC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Locale: Norway

Travelling from Norway to New York City in a week or so and I’m planning on spending some money from Christmas on some equipment. I’ve already ordered the Zpacks Arc Zip to be delivered to my Airbnb address (can’t wait!).

I’ve read the threads I’ve found here on outdoor gear shopping in NYC and they’re kinda old (2013 is the newest?). So, my question, which stores should I check out? I will be living in Brooklyn, travelling by subway and often be located in Manhattan as well. The stores I already have located are Uniqlo, Tents & Trails and REI SoHo.

What I want to buy/look at is mainly some lightweight rain clothing, some trail shoes, lightweight down jackets and a sleeping pad (exped or therm-a-rest mainly).

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Another big one in NYC is Paragon Sports.

However, as with most big stores they cater heavily to trad and fashion types so it is a good idea to know exactly what gear you want to check out and to call first to see if they even have it.

Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Locale: Norway

Thanks, yes, I will probably do all the necessary investigation beforehand. But I also want to do some browsing I guess.

Kief H
    BPL Member

@kief

Locale: Eastside Sierra, Downeast Maine

Paragon probably has the biggest selection of what you’re interested in. It’s a short walk up Broadway from Union Square which is a major hub for subway lines coming in from Brooklyn.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Dead Bird has a store in SOHO. EMS used to have a store down there as well, but that could be long gone now. North Face, Patagonia, and Colombia all have stores as well.

Marc Dalessio
    Spectator

@marcdalessio

Tent and Trails is great. If you’re close to the Brooklyn bridge you can walk there, and if you’re there for one of their holiday sales, they sometimes match or beat online prices.

For really lightweight raingear and down stuff, the cottage manufacturers in the US compete with any of the major brands you’ll find in stores.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

^^^ It’s been awhile since I lived in NYC, but Tent and Trails seemed like the most serious store for backpacking gear.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools