Topic

Outdoor Research Stargazer and Interstellar Bivies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Outdoor Research Stargazer and Interstellar Bivies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Has anyone been following the release of the new OR Stargazer and Interstellar bivies?  MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop) shows these as available for pre-order, but I find it curious that they do not appear on the OR website.  These bivies are an interesting design departure for OR, and the listed weights are quite attractive.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’ve been waiting for more information to come out also.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Dave:

There is some info on the Mountain Equipment Coop site.  I am mainly puzzled that there is nothing on the  OR site.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

I see that OR finally has its  new Interstellar and Stargazer Bivys up on their website.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Interesting that OR is using their “AscentShell” 3L fabric for these new bivies.  It’s the same fabric they use in their Interstellar rain jacket and a few other models as well.  They must be pretty happy with its performance.

That being said:  I can see using a bivy like this for fast and light alpine pursuits.  I’ve been on Rainier, dabble in ice climbing, and get to talk to some folks much cooler than me at my local American Alpine Club chapter.  These things seem like a great fit for some of their endeavors.  I personally enjoyed the room inside my heavy mountaineering tent to sort out my gear and stuff.

But for general backpacking?  I still feel like it would pretty cramped and miserable stuck in there during prolonged bad, rainy weather.   Which is the major drawback I’ve always read about the use of alpine bivies for backpacking.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

If I get one of these bivies I will pair it with a small tarp, perhaps an MLD Monk, or Zpacks Pocket tarp. I do not have to provide foul weather coverage for the entire bivy, just the head and critical opening area.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Massdrop has the OR Interstellar bivy for $170 now. Retail is $275.

Disclaimer: That link has my referral code. If you join with the link, Massdrop gives us both $10.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Jim C. Damn.  I was hasty . . . Could have saved myself another $10.00.  As it is, if this drop goes through, I will save $160.00 Canadian.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Silnylon Monk + Interstellar:  $280 and 29oz

DCF Monk + Interstellar: $330 and 24oz

Zpacks Pocket Tarp + Interstellar: $369 and 23.7oz

Dan Durston’s 1-person X-Mid: $200 and 29oz

Availability of the X-Mid aside, One could have a healthy debate about what combination provides more value and livable space.

For tarp + bivy, I’d be more tempted to go with a lighter bivy from Borah Gear, or if you’re going with the Pocket Tarp, maybe just a bug bivy.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Yes to all points :) But I’m just a gear freak with a little discretionary spending money.  I will likely be pairing the Pocket Tarp with a bug bivy as well, just for the sheer hell of it.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Pairing these bivys with a ZPacks Pocket Tarp could be a good combo.

Why the Interstellar bivy instead of the Stargazer? The Stargazer is listed as being 1.4 oz lighter. Same fabric.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

I was interested in both bivies, but the Interstellar came up on Massdrop for a considerable saving.  I don’t find 1.4 ounces to be a significant difference.  This is very much an experiment for me.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

They are both on REI (at a higher price than Massdrop) and, comparing the 2 descriptions, looks like the Interstellar has an “built in [OR] sombrero” to do camp chores under while still remaining (sitted?) in the bivy.  Neat.

I’d often have my coffee w/stove waiting right outside my old OR bivy to fire up, but never dealt with it being rainy.

A little more on it at the top …

https://www.snewsnet.com/press-release/lighter-shelters-warmer-gaiters-more-advanced-apparel-technologies-featured-in-outdoor-research-ss19-line

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I’ll be interested to see how these work out in regards to condensation. A lot of times for me, there is only a light rain (if anything) overnight.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I’d always pair a bigger groundsheet with mine really helping with condensation,  even with the heavier OR bivy sacks (I had the “Advanced” with the “crocodile mouth” opening).  It was “cozy, so good from cooler to cold, especially camped on snow, … but not so good as conditions got warmer.

If these 2 have enough bug netting to lay open the waterproof breathable fabric, that would alleviate some stuffiness.

Not sure I would pair a tarp with it.  One woman on the REI blog set up a Tyvek hood for her simple opening REI Minimalist bivy for her  PCT hike, but this integrated “sombrero” is intriguing. The late Colin Fletcher wrote about using bivy sacks in the Southwest, using his external as a backrest while seated, and iirc, even a porch with some visqueen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools