Topic

Outdoor Retailer Exhibition: UL Gear Roundup from SectionHiker.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Outdoor Retailer Exhibition: UL Gear Roundup from SectionHiker.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

We used to see roundups from BPL. but some other folks are noticing and posting about what the more mainstream vendors are doing make gear bit lighter, mostly by implementing innovations we first saw in the cottage industry.

See here: https://sectionhiker.com/outdoor-retailer-2018-editors-choice-gear-picks/

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks for the link Bruce. Philip has one of the best sites out there, IMO. Good, quick coverage of the show’s more interesting items.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

+1 Phil writes one of the most comprehensive backpacking blogs out there. I remember when he left his job in tech to work on the blog full time. It’s amazing one person managed to produce all that well-organized quality content. It’s a great resource for all, but especially helpful for introducing people to lightweight gear and techniques.

I’d also recommend checking out Will Rietveld’s excellent OR coverage on his Ultralight Insights blog. No one does OR like Will.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is Will Rietveld’s OUTDOOR RETAILER SUMMER MARKET 2018 .

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Nm

Clearly, my lack of sleep is getting to me… sigh.  Thanks, Doug.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

20L on a charge. It’s rechargeable….

:-)

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Doug. Thanks

@ Ethan. Yes I saw Will’s blog and the links posted here. Will focused mostly on barebones specs while SectionHIker shared a bit more of his reaction.

Bottom line, mainstream vendors are still maintaining some focus on lightweight products which I think is good for backpackers. Soon REI might have down quilts from ThermaRest.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools