Topic

Out oceans: The LARGEST canary in the global warming "coal mine"

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues Out oceans: The LARGEST canary in the global warming "coal mine"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I fear (strongly) that once the world’s oceans reach a certain average surface temperature we will reach a true climate change “TIPPING POINT” from which there will be no man-made retreat.

Add to that ocean acidification, which also may mean drastic reduction of photo and zoo plankton. And that of course, being the foundation of the oceanic food chain, will spell mass species extinction.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Sorry, the SUBJECT heading should read “OUR Oceans…”, not “Out Oceans…” Senior moment for not checking.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

No worries, Eric. I most always leave my oceans out. They usually create a big mess in the house, and they like being out anyway. But you are right – warming oceans will certainly create devastating problems planet wide.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’m not sure which will be the biggest tipping point – ocean water temperatures, crashing the base of the aquatic eco-system with ocean acidification, liberating methane hydrates, allowed the tundra to thaw and decay, or what.  Changing human behavior isn’t going to avoid huge consequences – we’ve done enough already that it’s definitely going to happen, but changing behavior rapidly will reduce how big those changes are.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I agree with David.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

I posted this in a previous, more general thread, but since we’re focused on oceans here:

https://www.ocean.washington.edu/story/Warmer_Pacific_ocean

The oceans contain a huge amount of methane hydrates at depths where the temperatures are low enough to keep the crystals stable.  That is changing, which expands the methane problem far beyond the permafrost areas of the north.  It looks like we’re on the verge of creating another feedback loop that, once started, will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to reverse;  with disastrous effects on the atmosphere.  Particularly true given the people who control the levers of power.

To give us an idea of the scope of the problem:

https://geology.com/articles/methane-hydrates/

The Chinese and Japanese are already hard at work on technology to “mine” it as a nearly inexhaustable source of natural gas, a clear indication of the extent of the material, and the threat it poses if ocean temperatures continue to rise.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/05/energy-dense-methane-hydrate-extracted-by-japanese-chinese-researchers/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools