Topic

OTC medication – quantity and containers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont OTC medication – quantity and containers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James A
    Spectator

@nps-hiker

Working on getting a crew FAK going and wondering how people have handled the OTC meds.

Looks like we need:

• Ibuprofen
    • Acetaminophen
    • Benadryl (tablets)
    • Hydrocoritsone cream
    • Antacid
    • Imodium
    • Foot powder
    • Throat lozenges (not sure if we need)
    • Visine (not sure if we need)

Am I missing anything? What quantities would you recommend for a 12-man crew on a 12-day trek? Single use packets (too expensive?) or standard pill bottles from the drug store (too heavy/bulky)? I’m guessing everybody should have their own foot powder, right? Is the 1-ounce Gold Bond enough?

Thanks for any help!

SFOldManClan
    Spectator

@sfoldmanclan

Locale: Washington DC

I ended up getting the little plastic pill bags

Bag 100 Count – Size 3″ X 2″ 3 Mil – Plastic Pill Organizer Bags – Small Pocket Pill Baggies – Travel Pill Pouch– Daily AM PM Medicine Storage Pouches – Locking Pill Carrier Box Container
    by Tilco
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMD6VJ2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_WNMHCb3QHSV0F

Quantity of pills is dependent on size of crew.  I just filled them up (about 50 pills per baggy), however I may cut that amount in half due to my total crew size only being 10 including adults..

here is the kit i copied, it fits perfectly in the HMG 4400 Small Pod, just added 3M red crosses front and back..

https://www.restockyourkit.com/Northern-Tier-BSA-Crew-First-Aid-Kit-p/210-0914.htm

Small Pod 4400 (For 70L Packs)

• Weight: 1.34 oz | 38g
    • Volume: 520 cu in. | 8.5L
    • Dimensions: 8.7″ x 14.1″ x 4.5″

Adam A
    BPL Member

@thunder-skunk

Throat lozenges (not sure if we need)

I’ve been camping more than once with a youth that could not stop coughing (at night while trying to go to sleep) throat lozenges  are worth having…..to me.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’d add an anti-fungal cream – a small, professional-sample sized one.   And a laxative.

For my own family, I just throw the pills in a small (0.5-1 ounce) nalgene – we all know what the different pills look like. In a larger group, use zip locks to label, record dosages, and indications for each med.

James A
    Spectator

@nps-hiker

Some great ideas, keep ’em coming. Thanks!

I do think I’ll go with those mini ziploc bags that can be labeled for meds.

Kevin Sweere
    BPL Member

@sweerek

We went with single-serving packages, like Medique offers on Amazon.

These have ALL the proper info on each, it’s easier to issue the proper amount for the right problem, each are water-proof and sterile from the others, and lastly each wrapper provides an easy place to record what’s issued — simply write name and date on the wrapper and put back into the FAK’s ziploc bag.

Yes, it costs a tiny bit more and there’s the litter issue… but compare to Phi-meals its trivial.

Wrt contents, you’ll need meds for BOTH digestive issues – diarrhea and constipation.  Just meds, we went rather overkill (for both the trip & trek for full crew) with:

• 20 Aspirin
    • 40 Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
    • 40 Ibuprofen (Motrin)
    • 24 Diphenhydramine  (Benadryl, H1 fast)
    • 20 Loratadine (Claritin, H1 slow, antihistamine )
    • 10 Antacids (tums)
    • Throat cough zinc drops
    • 24 cold caplets
    • 16  ­­­­Bismuth subsalicylate (Diotame, Pepto-Bismol)
    • 24 Loperamide  (Imodium, Diamode, anti-diarrhea)
    • ex-lax laxative
    • 8 lactose enzyme (Lact-aid)
    • Anti-fungal cream (jock itch, athlete’s foot)
    • Hydrocortisone cream
    • Visine eye drops/wash
    • Zinc oxide cream (treat rash)
    • Trail Toes, foot anti-friction, anti-wet-out
    • Body Glide, anti-chafe
    • Lip balm

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Plus a wheelbarrow to carry it all.

Cheers

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Is all of that necessary when you’re always a short distance from help?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools