Topic

Osprey Aether Pro 70

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Osprey Aether Pro 70

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

https://www.osprey.com/ot/en/product/aether-pro-70-AETHRPRO70.html

Just learned about this pack, Seems pretty good for a fairly lightweight simple load hauler. Also the first Osprey pack that I think looks aesthetically pleasing in a long time.

Thoughts?

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

That looks nice!  I’m glad they have kept a more traditional suspension system rather than moving to the “anti-gravity” platform.  The AG system is nice if one has the right torso shape; not as versatile otherwise.

At a quick glance, I like the stripped down feature set.  Everything you need, nothing you don’t.  Many larger-volume packs now are only slightly lighter than older packs because they have so many features – again, good if you want them, bad if you are looking for a pared-down efficient load hauler.  This looks nice.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

We have this at my store.

Its sweet.

Covet.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

It looks very similar to the original Osprey Aether 60 from 2004?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

The rep did say that they tried to get back to the roots of the original Aether.

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

I’m at the top end of the large, Curious to see how it fits.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I’m getting my wife the women’s version… based on how her’s works I may get one for myself. I like its stripped down design.

But I have a problem with today’s non-customizable, fits-all frame systems. They usually don’t work for me.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

The rep did say that they tried to get back to the roots of the original Aether.

Except the frame is “fits-all” and not at all customizable. Too bad the state of packs from many of the biggest makers like Osprey…

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Hell, 4 pounds??????

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Well 4 # is half the weight of my current old dinosaur I use for summer walking. Don’t need much warm gear in summer but do need to carry a lot of water, no water holes every 5 klicks and never any guarantees of water at all sometimes so I need to carry up to 12 litres; sometimes a lot more.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

If you need it you have to carry it. It does not work well in the ADK’s of NY though. There is usually water around somewhere…

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

James Marco wrote, “It does not work well in the ADK’s of NY though. There is usually water around somewhere…”

Sometimes too much?  A few of my visits to the ADK High Peaks made me feel like I was in a temperate rain forest.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Jeff, Yeah, most years a wood stove is not a good option. Wet or damp wood, slow almost cold burning, smoky and a real chore to get it lit without some sort of fire starter. Sometimes, there is way too much water to bother fishing…most of ’em drowned.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I know this thread is a little old, but curious if anyone here uses this as a load hauler? I’m thinking of this pack for search and rescue, since the loads I’ll be carrying there are far greater than what I carry for backpacking. 40-60 lbs would not be unusual. Any input on how it carries?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Good for winter where loads are bulkier. I have an old Dana Designs Terraplane for winter (7.3 lbs.!) and would like a pack like this at only 4 lbs. for a Large.

Full disclosure: I own an Osprey EXOS 58 for 3 season use and love it. Its the 3rd and best UL pack I’ve owned.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

This thread inspired me to buy an Osprey; I got the Aether 85 but I haven’t yet had a chance to load it up and carry it

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools